New twist to an old question.. WORST MICS???

Prism

Hopefully this question hasn't already been asked.. but what are the worst mics you've used, what were you miking with them, and what did you do about it? Input please!

Isaiah

Worst mic 1: Old broken mic from the 60's that didn't make a sound. What did I do about it? Nothing. It looks cool though, so it's still in my box. :)

Worst mic 2: A cheap plastic mic for like $10 or $20 or so. It pics up only midrange. I tried to close mic my drums with three mics, and ended up distance micing with two mics instead, because that mic were simply completely useless.

A Stedman ND-90. It's an instrument mic a lot like an SM-57 but at around $150 US street. A local dealer (that knows I'm a gear slut big time)gave it to me to try out over a weekend and I'd buy it if it panned out. No matter where I put the damn thing on a guitar amp it sounded like a bad dream. Very harsh.

I've got four mics. The worst is the Shure SM58 for vocals. I'd rather put my head in bag and sing through my Rode NT-1, it would still be better, depending on the bag. I sing rather quietly and close to the mic, maybe that's the reason. The Shure's like throwing a blanket over the proceedings. Very nice blanket, but still a blanket. I'm gonna take the windscreen off and use it on the first drum kit I come across.

Your opinions may vary.

I guess I should answer my own question, huh?

I've used a lot of cheap mics. The ones that digust me most are the ones that Musician's Friend throws in when you "buy such-and-such and we'll give you a free cheap mic!"
I hate almost any ball mic (except SM58). Any mic that costs less than $80, I generally don't trust. My dad had a really neat Sony stereo dynamic mic which is now broken in my desk drawer ...but it sounded really great on guitar. It sucked on anything else, but it really sounded warm on guitar. I should try to fix it.

Isaiah

worst....

Shure UnidyneB... Bought it in @1976 'cause Robert Plant had one that LOOKED like it...

I too liked to tape the cord to the mic body and whip it around my head between vocal passages....

Funny thing is - I still use it today. I guess that's good...:)

zip >>

The worst (supposedly) semi-pro mics are those cheap headset mics, they give you nothing but horrible sounding mids.

Anything that says radio shack on it! Also anything that has been purchased from k-mart, or any thing with a 1/8 inch plug like karoke mics.

Back