New tubes in CAD VX2

sdelsolray

After a bit of research, I pickup up a pair of tubes to replace the stock tubes in my CAD VX2 mic. The mic has a 12AX7 for the head amplifier, each side of that tube amplifying each side of the dual diaphragm mic capsule. It also has a 12AU7 for the line driver, dunno know what it does exactly, but it does pass audio.

Anyway, I got a NOS Valvo 12AX7 (made by Siemens) and a NOS Telefunken 12AU7 smooth plate. I've got the mic on now for about 40 hours or so to burn the tubes in, but I couldn't wait to listen.

Just trying my spoken voice and one guitar I can hear quite the difference. This mic is very full, smooth and lush to begin with. All of that is still there, but it seems more accurate, detailed and still smoother. I'm pumped.

Nice!

While we're on the subject...I know the Manley tube mics use military grade 6072 tubes. I was thinking about picking up an NOS 6072 and replacing the tube in my Rode NTK...any thoughts?

Hmmm...thanks for the link. Lots of hostility there. Seems like people either love the NTK or hate it. I love mine. Did you end up changing out the tube?

No NTK tube swap here...

...Actually I have 5 tube mics and all have been swapped out EXCEPT the NTK...I have much respect for Marik's advise, so I have chosen to leave the NTK as is...of course, the fact that my NTK has performed very nicely in the studio up til now, is a great part of that decision as well...if you do go ahead with the swap, please update this thread with your results...Good Luck!

Back