New Tube Mic Owner Questions

freshmattyp

My CAD M9 got here yesterday, my first tube mic to go along with the usual home reccer assortment of mics. I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I let the mic "Burn In" overnight or ,ongerbefore I use it the first time?

2. How long should I let it warm up before using it?

Thanks for the help

cad already burn's the mics in.
some tube mics are different.. if you read the manual it should say how long you should wam the mic up...(it all depends on the tube)

when using a at4060, i let it warm up for an hour.. i had great results from it.. when i let it warm up for 10 minutes it sounded ok..but not as good as when it warmed up for an hour..

what mic pre are you using with the cad M9? and what type of music?
i plan on ordering one with in a week or 2..

c9-2001 said:
cad already burn's the mics in.
some tube mics are different.. if you read the manual it should say how long you should wam the mic up...(it all depends on the tube)

when using a at4060, i let it warm up for an hour.. i had great results from it.. when i let it warm up for 10 minutes it sounded ok..but not as good as when it warmed up for an hour..

what mic pre are you using with the cad M9? and what type of music?
i plan on ordering one with in a week or 2..

The manual says "A few minutes". I think I'll let it warm up for 30-45 before I sart singing.

I use a DMP3 right now, and the pre's on my EZBUS. I'm saving for something a little nicer like an RNP or a Grace 101. I might even look at buying a vocal channel with compression and EQ built in. Maybe one of the new Meeks or a used Symetrix 528. I love the DMP3 on acoustic instruments. I record mostly acoustic singer/songwriter stuff, I rarely record any drums or percussion. I'll be testing the CAD this weekend. I ran it through my PA last night and FWIW, I really liked the sound.

Back