New tracks with REAL drums!

Beerhunter

Barley Processing Unit
Hey all, many of you suggested that we get rid of the drum machine in our tunes and track some real drums. With that being said, this is exactly what we did.

If any of you get a chance to check out our EPK I would really appreciate it.

You can find our EPK here http://www.sonicbids.com/TheLondonProject

Any feedback would be awesome.

Cheers,
Lonnie

Cool. Listening to future mr x.

Sounds good.

Vocals do sound a bit scooped not terrible, just enough that they can get buried a bit easily. I really like the vocal sound, just speaking from a mixing point of view. I did not notice it in other songs as much. The structure must have worked better with the vox sound. Cool song. Drums need a bit of work. Snare has too full of a bottom end to me and sounds like it's too verby to me. Some of the cymbal hit's could use to be pulled back a bit. Toms have some very nice sounds in leaving the past behind. Again a cool song;)

Cool stuff! an enjoyable listen. Listened to three songs and they where all cool. A little floydyness in there once in a while.

The mixs are a bit dark too me, but that's sort of a personal preferrance.

Me Likey:D

F.S.

I just listened to "Welcome to the Machine".....um, oops....I meant "I Know She Understands". :D

Sounds good. Nothing like real drums, huh?

Snare has too full of a bottom end to me and sounds like it's too verby to me. Some of the cymbal hit's could use to be pulled back a bit.

Man, all I can hear is drums. I'm finding it difficult to get them to sit right. The verb sound is probably the room mic's turned up a bit too much. I seem to be focusing a lot on the drums. Maybe I just have to walk away from these songs for a bit. This is the first time I've tracked real drums and I certainly have my hands full.

RAMI I just listened to "Welcome to the Machine".....um, oops....I meant "I Know She Understands".

lol - I hope it doesn't come across as a PF rip off. It certainly wasn't intentional however, I'm sure you can tell we are heavily influenced by PF.

thanks for the feedback guys... appreciated.
Lonnie

lol - I hope it doesn't come across as a PF rip off. It certainly wasn't intentional however, I'm sure you can tell we are heavily influenced by PF.

thanks for the feedback guys... appreciated.
Lonnie

Hehe...No, it sounds original. But you can hear where the influence comes from. Nothing wrong with that. For a first drum recording, it's very cool. Drums are hard to get right, you're off to a great start. I think it's just level adjusting at this point. The source sounds are well recorded.

This is the first time I've tracked real drums and I certainly have my hands full..
Lonnie

For being the first time tracking real drums you did frig'n Fantastic!!

You might have an idea, backing off a bit and coming back. I've gotten to obsessive about drums before and really built them up to be too powerfull.
Play some referrance material too. That helps get ya back to reality and realize just how wimpy drums sound as opposed to what your brain makes out of them. My brain at least likes to hear totaly unrealistic MEGA drums when I imagine songs:D

F.S.

Play some referrance material too. That helps get ya back to reality and realize just how wimpy drums sound as opposed to what your brain makes out of them.

Great idea... I generally do use a reference but for some reason I haven't done this yet... Now then, just need to track down a good reference drum track. :D Any suggestions?

Great idea... I generally do use a reference but for some reason I haven't done this yet... Now then, just need to track down a good reference drum track. :D Any suggestions?

How about "Welcome to the Machine"!! :D :D :D

Drums sound okay man. Not terrible, but they could use some work. Recording drums is tough. You're doing okay for a first effort. I think I'm hearing a lot of phasing from your O/H's. Check their placements in relation to the snare.

Whats your mic setup? How many?

Hey Greg,

The setup was

Snare - Shure Beta 57
Hi-hat - Studio Projects B1
Kick - AKG D112
Toms/Fl Tom - Shure Beta 57
OH - APEX 180's
Room - AKG C3000

The raw tracks are awesome.... any substandard sound is coming from my lack of experience. Oh ya, its doubtful that I would have a chance to re-track. What I have now I have to live with

Hey Greg,

The setup was

Snare - Shure Beta 57
Hi-hat - Studio Projects B1
Kick - AKG D112
Toms/Fl Tom - Shure Beta 57
OH - APEX 180's
Room - AKG C3000

The raw tracks are awesome.... any substandard sound is coming from my lack of experience. Oh ya, its doubtful that I would have a chance to re-track. What I have now I have to live with
Okay. Is it 2 O/H's and a room mic, or one O/H and room?

It's probably the room mic that's creating the phasing I'm hearing. If you can, zoom in close and try to line up the room track peaks with the O/H tracks. You'll still get the room sound, but it will be more in-sync with the sound source. I don't use room mics hardly ever, but when I have, this little technique worked well to cut some of the ophasiness and get the kick and snare crackier.

Should I be nudging both the OH's and the Room Mic's to line up with the snare as well or do I just line the room mic's to the OH's?

Very cool tune, very floydish intro.

The recording sound good, the drums could be a bit tighter if I were to shell out any critics.

thanks for sharing:)

Should I be nudging both the OH's and the Room Mic's to line up with the snare as well or do I just line the room mic's to the OH's?

I'd probably just get the room tracks close to the O/H's. If you line everything up with the snare track, which is a very close mic, it will probably throw everything else out of whack. So, I'd leave the close mics alone, and try to get the room and O/H's tighter. Just my opinion.

Also, unless the room is VERY good, usually a room mic can do more harm than good. A bad room sound/track can make otherwise tight drums sound like ass. See if the drum tracks sound better with the room tracks muted. You can always add some room ambience with a plug-in.

Back