new tracks... opinion(s) welcome...

bump?

*anyone?*

edit: this line is so I surpass the 10 character minimum p[ost length, there that does it and THEN some, LMAO

Hey SEDstar....I'll suggest the same thing that got suggested to me.

Try posting finished songs in the mp3 clinic - you'll get more feedback there.

Cheers, Mike

QUOTE:"Hey SEDstar....I'll suggest the same thing that got suggested to me.
Try posting finished songs in the mp3 clinic - you'll get more feedback there.
Cheers, Mike "

Hmmm. Perhaps so, but... this section is entitled "Songwriting and Composition", and THAT is the MP3 "mixing clinic"

To wit, I rather abandoned "mixing" and a couple years ago started concentrating on composing. "Turn down the horns a bit", or "maybe you could try compression on the bass strings" Isn't particularly helpful feedback for which notes to pick next time I compose something, LMAO

In THIS forum, someone might say "Eh, most of it is okay, but that middle part is getting kind of boring, maybe more instruments or a faster pace would help"...

...which is a composition opinion.

OR I could be wrong, I frequently am.

PEACE

Got a kind Sakamoto ‘Asian grandeur’ feel going on.

I like the build going up to the minute then the drop out to the new phrase and rebuild

2.02 Change brings a new personality that I like but I think it deserves to be established more before you bring the 1st motif in the challenge it – remember we have had the first motif for 2 mins.

3.07 Trumpet nice – find another opportunity for this – their presence is a pleasant surprise not a shock.

3.23 Crescendo to flutes should perhaps be a reiteration of the 1st phrase

4.52 Again I sense a return to the original motif, it is slightly altered, but I think it could be more – a development of the conversation between the 1st and 2nd motif from between 2.02 – 3.07

5.55 Cymbals? Not sure

Dark end not sure where it has come from – it seems like a cheap trick in its current form.

I think you need to explore tempo/rhythm changes, instrumentation and dynamics and perhaps modulation. There is no real tempo changes and the dynamics tend to be a few quiet moments, but pretty even during the rest.

The listener particularly with instrumental music is still looking for a hook.
Establish 2 or 3 strong melodies between 4 – 8 bars long – then establish them, then play with them together and see if a call/response approach will lead to another slightly altered melody, Then play around with the arrangement to ease or jar the interplay of the melodies depending on your intention.

I do not set this composition up as a shining example just to exemplar of some of the ideas I have expressed and how I work them in an instrument arrangement.

Like to hear how it progresses

HTH

Burt

I was out of work again, and used my time as wisely as I might... I picked these two out because they were my favorites...

eh?

the links...

http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaShY1W0Zms

http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaShY1W2a2E

I did some other smaller stuff, but I'm most interested in these two...

peace.

SEDStar, it is good to hear new material from you, my friend. I listened to both and enjoyed them. I prefer the second one the most.

The only constructive critique I can offer is my observation that the synths in many of your compositions often sound the same. The melodies and arrangements are usually very nice, but the synth instrumentation, if varied, could add to the listener's enjoyment of your songs.

Again, I do like both compositions. :-) Keep up the good work!

HTH.

Cheers,
Joseph

Back