New track (Without you)

Vox a little loud the reverb or delay jumps when your voice gets loud.
Nice balance of guitar & piano in the stereo image.
I like most of the solo though some of the bent notes don't quite work& the 1st note in the exit from the solo seems miss placed - a grace note with too much time on its hands.
I listened on a late 70's stereo with bookshelf speakers.
Could be panned a little more.
Whoops - forgot to say NICE work, good melancholy song with appropriately sparse instrumentation.

Last edited:
rayc said:
Vox a little loud the reverb or delay jumps when your voice gets loud.
Nice balance of guitar & piano in the stereo image.
I like most of the solo though some of the bent notes don't quite work& the 1st note in the exit from the solo seems miss placed - a grace note with too much time on its hands.
I listened on a late 70's stereo with bookshelf speakers.
Could be panned a little more.
Whoops - forgot to say NICE work, good melancholy song with appropriately sparse instrumentation.

Thanks for your comments, i am having some trouble with this song. Even though its just two guitars, piano and voice i am finding it a bit of a tightrope balancing them. Sounds great in headphones, sounds shit on my Emac speakers. Sounds not so hot on my Events TR5's. Definetly needs a new mix either way. I know what you are saying about that solo, i wanted it to be a bit discordant, perhaps i need to re-evaluate my perspective on what that means. Thanks for listening, any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re the solo - I was hoping you were after some dischord but it's not entirely obvious - perhaps a little tentative. You could re do the solo & make it more so or OD a counter melody to the solo to increase the dischord. Or give more emphasis to the passage from chordal to dischord. Or foreshadow it with a brief transition passage earlier on. Or...
Piano is really hard to mix - all those sounds, all those frequencies. From my listening perspective you're doing a good job of it.

Very nice acoustic sound. I'm listening on a 6 speaker surround system. I agree with everything RayC said about the vox, on my system they sound somewhat overpowering compared to everything else. Piano could stick out a bit more IMO. Enjoyable song :cool:

Back