New Track: Mars

peritus

The not fountain head
I've had this one sitting around for years, waiting for some development...

Think Busta Rhymes meets Chemical Brothers meets Xzhibit meets Peritus...

Peace...

It's ok...it aint my style though. One thing I notice on some of your beats is that they never settle down, the entire beat is like an intro, and I wait for the beat to start bangin...but it doesn't happen.

You haven't outdone yourself yet since the "Stop That" beat. But you are cranking them out quickly and that's a good thing in my eyes because trying new things is the quickest way to improve. I feel like I learn something every new beat that I try to make. This beat is rather complex but it is hard to picture anybody being able to add vocals over it.

2 questions
How long does it generally take you to make a beat? and
Do you sell your beats or do you just make them for fun?

You haven't outdone yourself yet since the "Stop That" beat. But you are cranking them out quickly and that's a good thing in my eyes because trying new things is the quickest way to improve. I feel like I learn something every new beat that I try to make. This beat is rather complex but it is hard to picture anybody being able to add vocals over it.

2 questions
How long does it generally take you to make a beat? and
Do you sell your beats or do you just make them for fun?

Thanks for the input guys..

Yeah.. I agree with ya... on basically all you said..

I usually spend an afternoon making a really complex beat...

Back when I first started I would spend days and days..

I remember a funny story...

My girl in high school (now ex) and I rented a house when I was 18... She went to prom "with the girls"... lol... I stayed home banging on some Reason 1.0 haha... when she returned (with a party of 10 or so) to party, I stayed in the studio room and kept making my beat...

Her friend Brittany came in... "what's that annoying sound all about'.. I said, "I'm trying to get this synth part to sound right"...

Soon after, she ran out around the house all drunk like and started screaming at my girlfriend to make me stop... hahaha..

I was like " Get her outta here!"

lol...

Haven't sold a beat yet.. Bad market for 'em... I do have one on Change's new album though...

Good cd by the way.. THE ENTIRE THING

EDIT: That beat I was making back in the day is the "My First Beat (Almost)", which is on my SoundClick page..

My First Beat (Almost)
lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3399239&q=lo
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3399239&q=hi

well you certainly have come a long way since 18

When I'm making beats it seems to take me a couple hours to get to anywhere where I can even listen to it, and even then its probably 4-8 bars. I haven't made any that keep changing throughout the song like that cause pretty much whenever I call it quits for the day, the next day I just start something new and can't bring myself to go revise something old. I heard that major producers can make a beat in like 20 minutes though so I was hoping that I wasn't the only one spending hours on end at a time.

I'm always conflicted too because in this day and age, beats are getting more complex and people want the beat to be like its own composition. But then I think about the rap music I listen to, and most of it is the same 4 bars looped repeatedly. I think DJ Premier is the best producer ever and most of his beats are only 2 bars long. I guess it makes a big difference when the vocals get put in, you won't notice the repetition as much or something.

I'll have to agree with Phys...they sound like one long intro, and I wait for them to just drop into bangin, but they dont'.

I'm not sure why, but they don't.

Listen to it, and cut the intro to like 5-10 seconds at maximum, the intro on this one hits like 35+, but 5-10 seconds of the intro and then just imagine silence in the crowd while the first 10 seconds go, and then you want them to star4t jumpin' up and down and goin crazy, that's how it should drop in. (on some of them anyway)

Hope that helps.

--Re-Lapse

Back