New track for a friend

Jake_JW

Did this track for a friend of mine recently, but I'm not quite final on a few things here but I think it's on it's way to a final version.

Thought I'd give this forum a go for reference as I haven't posted anything on here before.

I'd be interested to hear what you all think of my mix :)

Update: Been working on it this week - think I'm there!View attachment Oxygen4.mp3

Attachments

• Oxygen.mp3
    4.5 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Love that first bit...my cans are on my right and just for a minute I thought my unplugged headphones were working and the mid-fields were off. :)
Guitar on the L is very prominent while the R is very subtle most of the time. Guitar tones are pretty warm and special. R guitar for the most part is not making it for me. The volume is low and the tone of it makes me want to keep it that way. Just scratchy, noisy...
Drums sound boxy and midrange driven once the tune gets rolling. Still has the high end sizzle, but loses all the bottom end. Beautiful at the beginning, though. Great stereo scape.
Bass is well done. Balanced, good tone, good performance.

Great tune!

Cheers! - that's pretty much what I was thinking regarding the guitars, the right guitar is a tad too driven at present and not quite there just yet.

I'm going to have to have another look at the snare drum for the loud sections I think, I agree about the drums sounding mid heavy at present - I've got a few ideas for them as it is but it's good to know I'm hearing things similar to someone else :)

Cool progression! Almost jazzy.

Maybe has a "Blur" vibe (including the vocals). Great arrangement! Really digging the track. Great vocals, too.

When the drums come in for the chorus, maybe the *only* thing missing is a big FAT kick drum. To my ears it sounds almost missing. Also hearing alot of cymbals in the chorus parts as well. Might be able to give yourself some headroom by compressing the guitars a little more, lowering their level, using a high pass on everything except the bass and kick, and then augmenting the kick sound using a sample/trigger.

Really, it's about 95% there IMO. It's in the keeper folder.

There is silence at the beginning and end that you should probably edit out.

I like the vocal. Singer is good.

I thought the cymbals sounded good. The snare is slightly dull. Needs just a bit of a high end boost. I liked the drummer.

The distorted guitars are a bit loud. Either that or the bass is too low. Maybe a bit too much gain on the guitars - I'm still trying to decide if I like them or not. :)

That effect at the end was cool.

One thing. I liked the drummer, but he needs to watch his levels a bit. A few snare hits were out of control.

Thanks again :) - Yeah, I think I'm nearly there with it.

The drums are a little problematic- I'm gonna split the snare in the chorus to a separate track and back off a little on the compression (probably easier than automation since the levels seem right to me, tone needs work), maybe a tweak on the EQ too. The top mic on the snare is dark as hell (my bad) so it could be a bit of a compromise in the end.

Can't do much about the drive on the left guitar, the right is a sim so it's easy enough to tweak and bring up, the gain is right up - the main problem seems to be translation, it sounds great in the studio, but doesn't make the jump to other systems :/

I'll have an updated version soon.

I don't have much to add on the mix... it sounded good to me. If anything I'd bring up the vocals a bit and make them a little brighter.

But... this is one of the best songs I've heard on this site in quite a while. It's really well arranged, sung, and played. Thanks!

Did this track for a friend of mine recently, but I'm not quite final on a few things here but I think it's on it's way to a final version.

Thought I'd give this forum a go for reference as I haven't posted anything on here before.

I'd be interested to hear what you all think of my mix :)

Lovely intro 1 - 2. The level difference works for me. The Cardigans could listen to this. Nice. I like the guitar pan at the end too.

*BUMP*

Been working on this this week, think it's about done (criticism welcome though, really useful sanity check last time).

Updated file is in the original post :)

Only nit (for me) is the snare sounds kinda compressed/eq'd or something. It sounds like it dies too quick - no resonance.
The rest is really well done, the intro is really open and sounds, well, excellent!

Back