New track called "RIDING" just was looking for some feedback.

This is not a genre of music I would listen to, but the mix sounds pretty good to me. Things are spread out, it's balanced and levels are adjusted well so that you can hear everything. Nothing seems too loud to me.

As far as thickening vocals, I use a few different plugs. First would be a send to a good ping pong echo. Ping echo at 1/32nd note and pong echo at 1/16th note. Increase level until you can hear the echoes barely then back off a little bit. A send to a chorus plug will work too, just don't turn it up so loud that it's obvious. You want the effects subtle so that you can't really hear them, you just notice that it doesn't sound as good when it's turned off. Judicious use of EQ in places can help too. Then there's vocal doubling. Record the vocal a second time and mix the two. If you get a really tight double, it can sound thicker without sounding like it's been doubled.

Having said all that, the best way to get a phat vocal sound is to choose the right mic for the right voice, and the right placement of the mic to get the sound you're after. Trying to save a thinly recorded vocal is much tougher than getting it right at the source the first time.

Sounds good through my studio monitors, but I'm getting zero bass through my built-in laptop speakers. Keep in mind if you send this link to your friends, they will listen to it on their Macbooks, and it will sound like it's missing something. Not sure how to solve this exactly...a broader-band bass?

Back