New to Sonar - MIDI Problem

bradly

I just got SONAR 4 all installed on my computer, but I am having a problem. I can't get any sound generated by MIDI. When I import any of the sample MIDI files, no sound is made when I play the selection. I can import an MP3 and it works fine, but not MIDI. I don't know what to try. Any ideas? Thanks.

-bradly

You do understand that MIDI is not sound but only instructions right? In order to hear anything from a MIDI track, you need to have that track feed into a MIDI instrument like a software synth or a sampler, that is what will generate the audio.

metalhead28 said:
You do understand that MIDI is not sound but only instructions right? In order to hear anything from a MIDI track, you need to have that track feed into a MIDI instrument like a software synth or a sampler, that is what will generate the audio.

Yeah yeah, but if i loaded a midi sequence into a midi track and selected an instrument for it, shouldn't i be good?

-bradly

metalhead28 said:
Do you have the outputs created for the synth and do you have them feeding your soundcard's outputs?

I think that's the problem. It's ouputing the MIDI to my MIDI interface instead of processing it and sending it out as audio. But I can't figure out how to stop it from doing this.

-Bradly

bradly said:
I think that's the problem. It's ouputing the MIDI to my MIDI interface instead of processing it and sending it out as audio. But I can't figure out how to stop it from doing this.

-Bradly
You don't stop doing that. Your midi instrument still needs to play the midi data. However, that midi instrument has to have audio outputs and those outputs must be routed somewhere for you to hear the track.

What metalhead is asking is whether you have the audio output of your midi instrument routed to your soundcard.

fraserhutch said:
You don't stop doing that. Your midi instrument still needs to play the midi data. However, that midi instrument has to have audio outputs and those outputs must be routed somewhere for you to hear the track.

What metalhead is asking is whether you have the audio output of your midi instrument routed to your soundcard.

I gotcha. No, under the outputs for the MIDI tracks my only options are MIDI outs. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

-Bradly

Your kind of "MIDI Out" could be the onboard MIDI joystick port. You need external MIDI device (tone generator, sampler, or keyboard) to make the sound. Instruction in MIDI file is sent to your MIDI device through "MIDI out". So, if you don't have one external hooked on the MIDI port, there won't be no sound.

But do not worry...

Sonar came with several DXi to choose. DXi could perform as MIDI tone generator. For example, just insert TTS-1 DXi (you installed it, didn't you?), and route all MIDI track output into TTS-1. It will produce the sound through your soundcard's audio output...

;)
Jaymz

Back