New to recording

loudnaybor

Well, your next mic purchase should probably be a large diaphram condensor and a decent tube preamp.
The reason I asked about budget is that you can spend anywhere from $300 to $30000 on those two items.
I would suggest going to the MARS store in Bridgeton where they have all the mics setup to try out. It's not a good try out, but at least you get to see 'em, touch 'em and hear 'em. If you're looking for an "entry level" type mic, pay close attention to the Rode NT-1, the AT-4033 and the AKG C-3000. Take a good look, figure out how much you want to spend and then ask some more questions.

Greetings all. I'm working with a friend to build a home studio. He recently purchased a Tascam Studio 8 (a relic, I know). The recorded music is primarily acoustic instruments (guitars, banjos, harmonicas, etc.) and vocals. Can I hear your thoughts and opinions on the best mics to use for these purposes (vocal and instrumentation)? Seems that Shure 57's and 58's are popular, but I've also heard that they don't lend themselves well to acoustic recording. All feedback is appreciated and I look forward to hearing from everyone. Thanks for your time!

Matt...good luck with the studio start up. I am also assuming that by saying..."All feedback is appreciated..." you meant comments on your question and not your microphones...ha!....anyway..the 57 and 58 are great mics and should give you an excellent start. You might also try the Rode NT! 8-D

Wow, somebody else from my part of the world !!
Welcome.
Yep, the 57's & 58's are a start, but you're gonna need some condensor mics. The amount that you're willing to spend will narrow the field of possibilties greatly.
Do you have a mic budget yet?

Well, we don't really have a mic budget, per se, but we want to try and get the best possible sound we can afford. We will probably build a piece at a time. We're both extreme newbies to the recording process, but we're experienced musicians and we both have spent time in a studio. We liked the warmth of the older board and the tape (as opposed to digital) and we felt it would allow us to capture a nice acoustic sound. I guess, in a nutshell, the warm sound is really the most important element.

McMarkup,HEHE.
They've really lowered their prices since Guitar Satan and Mars came to town, but I still don't shop there because of the way they were hosin' us in the past.
I never noticed that you were from here before, Track Rat. Did you just add your location to your profile?

No, it's always been there. I'm just easy to over look ( conspicuously inconspicuous).

Back