New to recording. What's under $150 that I can record my guitar/mic on? Also,software

crewxp

Hey, I'm new to guitar recording. But I really want to start recording my own tunes. I'm not that great, but I can play good chords and tunes etc, so I was wondering.

Right now I have a $10.00 cable that I bought from Radio-Shack. It converts my guitar plug to a microphone size plug. Then I can plug my guitar or amp into my microphone slot in my Audigy2 soundcard on my computer. But the quality isn't that great on my computer. Especially when I use my amp or distortion.

1.) What kind of hardware can I get that's under $150 that will let me record quality guitar recordings or microphone recordings (if I ever decide to buy one)

2.) What kind of software is good to use to record with? Preferably one with the ability to layer different things. A friend recorded an entire song by himself. Just layered different things he recorded on itself.

3.) Is there some type of virtual-pedal software I can get? Something that will turn my clean guitar sound into something different?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

I just re-read your post, and that won't record a microphone. . . . . . . . . Crap, I'm not sure what to tell you now.

Regardless I still think it'd be fun to play around with. I've considered buying one myself. You can't buy a new pod for 100 bucks, and even if you could you can't record on a pod. (I love my pod, don't get me wrong).

JazzMasterWil said:
I just re-read your post, and that won't record a microphone. . . . . . . . . Crap, I'm not sure what to tell you now.

Regardless I still think it'd be fun to play around with. I've considered buying one myself. You can't buy a new pod for 100 bucks, and even if you could you can't record on a pod. (I love my pod, don't get me wrong).

Actually you were right the first time...the toneport has a mic input in it's hardware as well.

crewxp said:
Hey, I'm new to guitar recording. But I really want to start recording my own tunes. I'm not that great, but I can play good chords and tunes etc, so I was wondering.

I would suggest you look at M Audio's Fast Track series. You'll get a mic and guitar line in via USB. Then you'll need software to record, mix and playback what you've recorded. Look at the various options like Acid, Cubase, Cakewalk and Protools. The Fastrack will run you 100 bucks, the software will be more...

For virtual guitar, the toneport would be better for you though. It comes with that stuff already built in. It also has a mic in, but once again you're gonna need some recording software...I would bet this is your better option if you're looking for guitar software too, but it might take more than your 150 bucks.

Jacob

If you want to get something line 6, check this out is only 30 bucks more than the first one I posted. For 130 bucks, it seems like a pretty good deal.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--LINTPUX1

jkokura - would you recomend the fast track over an Omega Lexicon? I'm looking at buying the omega, and the fast track is only 50 cheaper. I'm right around that 250 - 300 price range, and I need to record drums.

Back