new to rap

patlang12

So I have never been that into rap, but I have always respected it. Now I guy I know wants me to mix some stuff from a guy he manages. I hear this guy is pretty good and I want to do it. Anybody have some tips for mixing rap or anything that would be helpful... Thanks a lot.

Are you making the instrumentals from scratch or are they premade? Also I'm not sure if you're talking about just mixing the vocals in with a premade instrumental or working from nothing to a full fledged song.

its pretty much the same..use your ears and you will know if it sounds good or not in the mix..check your levels and all the good stuff..make sure the track has son knock in it..make sure the vocals are clear and louder then the track but mix well with the track..and you will be ok...it really not any different then doin any other music...other then you not recording a live band..(unless its the Roots)

I am not sure what I will be mixing yet. The guy like to make his own beats, but what we are thinking about doing is taking the computer drum beats that he makes and replace them with real drums. The equitment that I will probably be using for mixing is an Apple G5 with logic 7. The moniters are wharfedale 8.2s.

bigwillz24 said:
Grab a copy of Dr. Dre's The Chronic and use it as a reference cd...

other than that mix the way you normally would.
Very good advice, I often pull out Chronic instrumentals cd for inspiration and new things to try out.

Back