New to Mixing, a few beginners Questions

dmbfan1011

Hi everyone this is my first post, I just found these forums and I figured this would be a great place to ask some questions. I just got my first little bit of recording equipment about a week ago. I have a Presonus Audiobox Usb 2x2 Interface and a MXL 990 Condenser Microphone. The interface is being plugged into a Macbook laptop. Now my plan is to just do some simple recording for some songs I have and put vocals on it.

Now for my questions:

1) The interface came with Studio One Artist mixing program, is this a recommended program for basic recording to use?

2) Iv'e done 3 recordings so far and I can't quite get this slight white noise to go away. If i turn my Mixer knob (input-feedback) I can get rid of some of it. Why is that? And is that what I should be doing to try to get rid of this noise?

3) Also when I plug my guitar (acoustic) up and record my top E string is just booming loud and the sustain is unreal. I've obviously tried adjusting the bass on my pre-amp, and I have it turned almost complete off. What can I do to adjust this? My mids and highs are coming in pretty well its just my top string.

4) Lastly, (should have probably been my first question) are there any tutorial mixing 101 videos or books you guys would recommend.

I have many more questions but this is a good start. I hope I can get some answers!

Hi and welcome ...
1-never tried it but it should be fine for basic stuff .
2-first of all the mixer knob is input/playback not feedback , and it has nothing to do with recording and your level , it s just for monitoring , you can use some eq and gate to get rid of that (if the problem is not your recording)
3-i think you have to be more specific on this one , what kinda pick up , do you turn the input volume on you interface down ? is there any pad switch or something on your interface ? do you have any problem when you connect your guitar to amp ?
4-there are lots of recording/mixing tutorials on youtube ,that s a good start

Hi and welcome ...
1-never tried it but it should be fine for basic stuff .
2-first of all the mixer knob is input/playback not feedback , and it has nothing to do with recording and your level , it s just for monitoring , you can use some eq and gate to get rid of that (if the problem is not your recording)
3-i think you have to be more specific on this one , what kinda pick up , do you turn the input volume on you interface down ? is there any pad switch or something on your interface ? do you have any problem when you connect your guitar to amp ?
4-there are lots of recording/mixing tutorials on youtube ,that s a good start

SST Shape Shifter preamp. I've tried both, turning my input volume down on my interface and turning my preamp volume up, and tuning input volume up on interface and lower on my preamp. I would post a url link but it says I have to have at least 10 post so here is a copy of the url to my interface. (Audiobox Presonus 2x2 interface) No it sounds fine through my amp, which I'm considering playing and just micing that. My guitar has both a 1/4' and XLR output and I have tried both and get the same results.

Back