New to keyboard

Hi all,

I am about to start learning to play piano however I have no keyboard/piano to play on. I also know nearly NOTHING about keyboards.

I would like to get an entry level keyboard and amp (something I can out grow), that doubles as a midi (is that possible??).

Where should I start looking?

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What's your budget? Most of the just-above-entry level keyboards out these days (Yamaha, Casio) have MIDI capability. If you are taking lessons on a real pianoi, you may have a tough time adjusting the light feel of a plastic keyboard on a low price keyboard.

I don't have a budget yet simply because I have no idea how much they cost but for an example lets say $500-$600ish :P Or would it be better to save for a better quality one?

How hard is it to adjust from a real piano to keyboard or vise versa? Are there keyboards that feel similar to a real piano?

That budget will get you a decent electronic keyboard, but unless you find a good used one, won't give you the same keyboard feel as the weighted action of a real piano. I suggest you ask your piano teacher for recommendations, then get to a store where you can try a few out.

Agreed with mjb. Stores such as Walmart and Target have electric keyboards that can replicate believeable/decent piano sounds for 200-400ish.

Back