New to Home Recording (Adobe Audition 1.5)

mikec

Hi. I'm very new with home recording. I'm a young musician/producer who's trying to get into NYC's Tisch School of Recording Arts. The competition to get in is pretty high, and in order to get in, I have to send a creative music recording created, written, performed and produced by me. I already have the song writing part out of the way. I also have a beat created by me using my cousin's Yamaha Motif ES8. I guess my problem is how to record the vocal track. I bought a fairly inexpensive but highly rated condenser mic (MXL 990) and downloaded a free audio software (Audacity) to attemp recording my song. But, I guess I didn't get the sound I wanted. Plus it is very hard to control the effects from Audacity, so I spent a lot hours trying to get the sound I want. With this, I went to ebay and bought a copy of Adobe Audition. Adobe Audition is a lot better than Audacity but I still couldn't get the sound I want. Maybe it's my inexpierience, my lack of equipments and/or maybe it's just my ear being strained (I get headaches from sitting in front of the computer listening to my song over and over again). The song that I'm trying to create is a pretty dark rap. Maybe it's like Pink Floyd and Eminem mixed together. The sound I'm trying to get is the sound of the vocals of from Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" verses, and Eminem's "Stan" verses. I know that I will not sound like them but I guess that I want to know is what effects I need, to get as close as I can to sound like those songs. I read the tutorial of Audition but I couldn't really learn anything. I also want to know how to hear effects in real time while recording. I tried finding it from the manual but no luck.My parents suggested me to just record everything from a professional studio (tehy too are tired of hearing my song playing over and over again) but I guess that I have too much pride with my work that I believe that I should build the whole song with my own hands. So please, I really need and really would appreciate any help.

I agree with monkey. I use Adobe Audition too and i Rap and Sing, mabee you can post a link showing us what you got.

Message me with any questions.

Back