New to Digital

Justplay

I'm a geezer, not really a newbie, except I'm about to become new to digital recording. Currently I use an old Tascam Porta Studio 488 tape machine. I want to step into the world of digital. Hoping for constructive gear suggestions or recommendations.

I'm looking for the turn-key one man band in the studio thing. My requirements are multi-track recording, mastering and CD creation. I also need percussion. A voice product with pitch correction, harmonizer and effects would also be helpful. Portability is important, so I'm not really looking at PC based software.

I like what I read about Boss' stand alone poducts. Both the 12 and 16 channel configurations. The 12 channel only allows 2 tracks to record at the same time which if fine for about 90% of my use.

I'm also looking at other stand alone products by Tascam and Yamaha which perhaps are better units, but they lack some of the rythym section and vocal effects.

One could argue I should go for the best recorder, then add outborad gear for the rythym section, voice or whatever.

Whew, a lot to consider. Any advice or product endoresements are welcome.

Last edited:
Get the stand alone and buy outboard gear, like a drum machine and some vocal effects. I know that Antares makes a rack unit that has pitch correction and vocal effects...http://www.antarestech.com/products/avp.shtml...but that's only if you really feel like you need it...

Don't rule out PC for portability...you can get a decent laptop with Firewire and then use the Fire wire interfaces from M audio or Presonus... then you can get all the VST effects and pitch correction you want!

Jacob

Thank you jkokura for providing your thoughts.

The concept of everything (or most everything) in one box is attractive to me. The two Boss BR units have all the features to get me going for a while. With the onboard USB port, perhaps I could interface with my PC as I grow into more sophisticated requirements. And I could always add more outboard gear.

So, I guess my question is, are these Boss units decent systems?

Justplay said:
So, I guess my question is, are these Boss units decent systems?

Can't answer that, but I've never liked any standalone unit...even if it's marked above 5 grand...

Jacob

Whoa....that is a big clue.

I thought I was very well defined, but perhaps I best step back and re-evaluate my direction.

What PC based systems would you suggest I check out?

I think the standalone is a great place to start digital recording, and the Boss units you're looking at are just fine. If your familiar with the 488, the leap to a standalone is a short one. With built-in drums and bass, you'll get a feel for midi sequencing. With USB connections you'll be able to upload wave files into a computer-based audio program and play with loops and FX plugins. The standalone unit is a very reliable medium and doesn't require knowing anything about IRQ, hard-drive speeds, interface incompatabilities, and all the other headaches that the newbie DAW owner must contend with.

Hey mikemorgan, thanks for taking time to add your comments.

Your response is an endorsement of how I was planning to crawl into digital. After my initial research, the Boss products appear to have more than enough to learn with while providing some immediate enjoyment.

I will continue to keep an eye towards PC software while starting off with Boss stand alone. My thought is to go with the 1600 if for no other reason than to have an 8 channel mixer to use down the road.

Thanks to all. Best wishes for fun holiday season.

Last edited:
Justplay said:
Whoa....that is a big clue.

I thought I was very well defined, but perhaps I best step back and re-evaluate my direction.

What PC based systems would you suggest I check out?

Whoa yourself...sorry I didn't mean to turn you off so harshly! Please forgive me...

Lots of people use the standalones and love em. They've got great pros to them...all I'm sayin is that I don't like em...but that's me! Just cause I don't doesn't mean you should immediately change your mind...and the 5 grand comment is only that the most recent one I used had a ticket around there, and I didn't like it at all...nor did I like th 1500 or the 1200 ones I've used either. Just cause I don't doesn't mean you shouldn't too...

Jacob

Jacob.

Thanks for your follow up message. Please know in no way did you "turn-me-off" as much as you motivated me to just take another look.

Your first response sent me back to review my notes and product info and think over what I wanted to do. This was a good excercise.

I did arrive at the same conclusion however, that is I believe the stand alone products may be the right first step for me.

I have recorded in studios with PC based systems and remain amazed at the sophistication/flexibility. I believe some of the programs were not even so expensive, yet still offered more capability and features than I could appreciate.

For my actual use, I think the right stand alone machine will satisfy me for a while.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Hey Justplay,

Check out Zoom products. They have a 16 track (8 in) recorder w/ drums, modelers and effects galore AND cd burner for about $800.00. I have the 8 track version and it suits all my needs. Worth looking into.

Hello Zengeezer:

So, do you have the Zoom 1608? I have looked this one over on-line and it does appear to be a really good value. Can it be that great at that great price? I don't know.

Perhaps you can provide some additional details, such as how long have you used it, what likes and dislikes, etc.

It sounds good, but I just have not put my hands on one yet.

Back