new to board, how do I make my recording SUPER lo-fi...listen to Ariel Pink??

jrosshomerecord

So ive been trying to get this super murky muted sound for a while now with no avail, partly because I'm new to recording. The actual sound quality that I'm looking for is hard to describe also. If you're familiar with the artist Ariel Pink then you might have an ideal of what I'm talking about.

This is the sound quality that I'm looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPUWriGwFU

Furthermore, can this be achieved with a Tascam 424?

Thanks in advanced guys!

Sounds like either that effect was achieved through real vintage gear, or a multitude of computer plugins. I'm guessing old gear.

On a 424, you might just overdrive the inputs a little, then bounce the tracks back and forth until the sound degrades. I'm not trying to be a smart-arse; on an analog cassette recorder, each bounce pass will get a little worse...

Sounds like the person recorded analog with some spring-ish reverb. Definitely distortion so dont be afraid pushing the levels on your inputs. But dont be mislead, it's still a pretty good mix on a low fidelity system. Lo-fi but good mix. Probably keep it mono. Don't give anything too much treble. Try some of these things on your 424 and maybe youll start getting closer to that sound. :)

It could have to do with tape bias but just understand that it has a lot to do with a bunch of other factors... Gear, performance, engineering, room, etc.

This may be a good question for the analog forum but I don't think there's a straightforward way to adjust tape bias on a 424. Please go and find out, as I'm not certain!

Good luck, Eric

Back