New to analog.

Dj Yak Man

I've been a long time user of computer recording, but have grown tired of using completely digital recording, so I decided to try analog. Just to get into it, I got a cheap Akai Gx220D from ebay. I noticed it has a MIDI jack in the back of it. Does that mean I can sync it up with other recorders? If so how does this process work?

Dj Yak Man said:
I've been a long time user of computer recording, but have grown tired of using completely digital recording, so I decided to try analog. Just to get into it, I got a cheap Akai Gx220D from ebay. I noticed it has a MIDI jack in the back of it. Does that mean I can sync it up with other recorders? If so how does this process work?

Don't do it! Since the GX220 predates MIDI by over ten years, it's almost certainly a remote control jack instead. Remember, not everything with a 5-pin DIN is used for MIDI ;-)

While it is possible to do some kind of sync with most tape decks, you will lose a track in the process, since you need to record a control track on tape to make it work. Since most of the Akais were stereo, that gives you precisely one track to work with.

If you do wish to try something like this, you will need a timecode unit which can record the control track, and convert it to MIDI etc on playback. That would allow you to lock a sequencer or something against it, using the tape deck as the master.

Some decks can also act as a slave, but this is less common.. generally it is found in later, microprocessor-controlled decks such as the Fostex R8, E16, Tascam BR20, TSR-8 etc and some of the Studer and Otari decks (can't say which). To make that work you generally need to have a special sync box made by the deck manufacturer. MTC-1 for the Fostex R8, MMC100 or ES5x for the Tascams. You would have to make some seriously major modifications to the Akai to achieve this ability (e.g. redesign the deck's entire transport logic).

Does anyone know anything about a remote for the 220D, or what exactly the 5 pin jack is for if there isnt a remote?

The 5 pin DIN connector is an audio connector - has the left and right in and out signal at a lower level than the RCA connectors - from memory around 100 mV. An input on the DIN connector will come up on the "Mic" level controls, the RCAs come up on Line.

DIN connectors were common in that era on Japanese and European equipment. Wiring details are here.

There's some info about your GX220D here. It looks like one of the older two-lever machines (similar to the common 4000 series) - you'll want to make sure the belts etc are in good order, and you may also need to pay attention to the switches (I have a GX265D and needed to clean all the switches before it would work properly).

These Akais were consumer decks - 4 track stereo (two in each direction), 3.75 and 7.5 ips. If its like the 4000 series the speed is changed by a small sleeve that fits over the capstan - install the sleeve for 7.5, remove it for 3.75. You've only got two channels, so if you want to record timecode you'll be working with one track - might be a bit restrictive!

arjoll said:
The 5 pin DIN connector is an audio connector - has the left and right in and out signal at a lower level than the RCA connectors - from memory around 100 mV. An input on the DIN connector will come up on the "Mic" level controls, the RCAs come up on Line.

In the 1980s DIN connectors were also used on certain kinds of cassette deck and home computers, in the days when software was loaded in from cassette tape. On some systems the computer could also tell the cassette deck to start and stop, presumably by (mis)using the pins for one of the channels (since the computer recordings were always mono). I had a deck that could do this, but I don't know where it's gone now.

jpmorris said:
On some systems the computer could also tell the cassette deck to start and stop, presumably by (mis)using the pins for one of the channels (since the computer recordings were always mono). I had a deck that could do this, but I don't know where it's gone now.
I remember the old BBC Model B used a DIN connector, but in NZ it usually came with an adapter to the 'standard' 2x 3.5mm (mic, headphone) and 1x 2.5mm (remote) jacks which were common on cassette decks here.

At home in the 80's we had a SORD M23 then M68 before switching to PC in 1988, and school jumped from a suite of Apple //e computers to PCs (nasty clones called Exzel which had a 30% DOA rate - see quote) about the same time, never really did much with beebs - but I did have a ZX81!

Aardvark said:
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/daily/2003/0909.shtml
Many, many years ago, the Ellis brothers started importing IBM PC clones into NZ. They assembled these boxes, sold them for a very low prices, and thus an empire was born.

Pretty soon, they had a huge business on their hands, complete with a Queen Street store-front. There was even talk of them floating their company on the sharemarket.

Then, almost overnight, it all collapsed and the Exzel brand was history.

Back