New Taylor Expression pickups

Tapehead

I just tried one of the new Taylor 500 series acoustic cutaway guitars. As an acoustic instrument it was reasonable (the usual Taylor sound--bright and clean and a little quiet on the bottom end) but plug it in and whoa! Absolutely stunning--it knocked everything else in the store flat on its ass. I've used Fishman Active Matrix for years which I've always thought to be one of the best sounds around but this just takes the sound to a whole new level. I'd love to fit this system into my (currently un-electrified) Larrivee dreadnought but they will only supply them from the factory with Taylors. Anyone else try these--what was your reaction?

I have not been impressed. The pickups sound too much like an unsuccessful amplification of the Taylor sound, which is to say very simple and completely lacking in any kind of low end. They are very clean, and the ES pickup would (I would think) be great for playing in a pop band, where you want to have your own space, but for playing solo, I don't like them at all. Additionally, for the first year or so, they just couldn't get the thing right. We have done a very large number of repairs on the ES pickups, considering how long they have been out. We get at least one or two a month, and for a system that has been out for under two years (or is it three, doesn't matter), that is WAY too many.

I will say this, though. Taylor is giving Martin a serious run for the title of best warranty policy in any business. Martin has, for years, been the gold standard. Taylor is really close, though, and I have seen them authorize us to do things which Martin would not, and which they should not be covering. Customer mistreatment of an instrument does not constitute a defect in workmanship or materials, and I have seen them (on rare occasions) cover such issues.

At any rate, the ES system does not impress me in the least, but that is purely an opinion, so you should absolutely trust your own judgment on this one. The pickup which DOES impress me, however, is the D-TAR Timbreline. Very cool pickups.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I've tried the new Taylor system, and I'm happy to say that I bought my 710CE with the Fishman Prefix stereo blender, which I find much more versatile for both stage and studio work. I find I often disagree with Light, but it's one of the things I really appreciate about him. I have found that some of the best people to listen to are very knowledgable people who disagree with you. That's your best opportunity to learn something new, gain a new perspective, or just change your mind. One thing Light and I do agree on is that pickup system.-Richie

Back