New tape stock ?!?

lonewhitefly

I saw a post on another forum about NAC carrying new open reel tape stock beginning in 2014. Apparently "the tape will be very similar to the original Ampex #456 Grandmaster". They say it will be available in 1/4", 1/2", 1" and 2".

I wonder if this is Zonal or RMGI? Or Quantegy NOS? Since it's not specifically mentioned, it may actually be a new type. I mean, they make cassettes and have plenty of tape stock.

Will NAC save the day ?!?

NAC has no mention of it on their website....so if they plan on doing this at the start of 2014, they sure are keeping it a secret. :)

Don't know how easy and profitable it is for them to tool up for something other than their cassette manufacturing, and wondering why they would bother seeing how you already have ATR (not sure how long they'll keep making tape any more) and also RMGI....and they ain't doing any hot tape business.

But hey....no one here will complain if they do start making reel tape.

One can only hope. I personally can't see them cutting into their Maxell tape stock. 1/4" at 15ips is a whole hell of a lot more tape than a cassette...doesn't sound sustainable to me.

Back