New Tape Recorders On The Horizon!

Given the same amount of money, I'll still by analog over digital.

If that's not the current cool thing that the current cool crowd is doing, I don't care. :eek:

Digital: Some people call it "more bang for your buck",...

but I call it "more headaches per mile, & YMMV".

Save your halfwitted arguments for someone who cares, regebro. ;)

regebro said:
No, you said exactly the same thing as you do when you are awake: You try to blame the lack of new cheap taperecorders on a combination of the ignorance of people and evilness of Tascam, when the simple truth is that it's not commercially viable to make tape recorders today.

You are religiously devoted to the idea of getting people to use analog. Just give it up, people do not want to use analog, because they don't think it's worth the money and effort.

Ok, now THAT'S BULLSHIT! (Wide awake now). Yes, I stand 100% behind what I had said on previous occassions. The last few replies to you for this particular thread, however, may have been lacking in clear thought and perhaps I should have worded things a bit differently or left some of the comments out, I can see that now, but the essence of it I back up 100%.

Look, people wanted to save money so they went to TASCAM's competition or they bought second hand. Fact is that only TASCAM, at least in the 80's, made better quality gear but people opted for cheaper alternatives. Call it what you want but that is precisely what has killed TASCAM.

Look, I have seen TASCAM gear sky rocket in value over the past few years. I have seen 388's approach $1000 USD and in at least 1 instance go past that amount. I have personally witnessed other gear go from 400 bucks to over 1000 and that's a consistent trend on certain condition gear. Mind you these examples are all for 20 year old equipment! I also was there when the last $3000 USD 34B's sold out like hot cakes and I would like to think as a result of my "push" to get the word out, not more than 6 mnths ago! Regebro, people want analog, perhaps not the majority but enough so that companies such as ATR see a definite niche market for it.

Now, get off my ass regebro! :mad:

~Daniel

Last edited:
The recent tape crisis settled once and for all how prevalent analog is in the industry. It was an eye opener for all who didn't know it before, or should have been.

More people may currently use digital, but the best, the elite still use analog. My ear tells me to use it regardless.

The digital music age may one day be seen as the dark ages. I myself consider the end of analog as a consumer medium the day the music died. I'm waiting for the industry to come to its senses. I'm not holding my breath, but ... who Knows?

-Tim

cjacek said:
Sure, I've gotten good deals on eBay but you have no idea how I hated the whole "process". I literally prayed that the gear arrived in one piece or that it wouldn't cease to operate one day.
...and then of course some of us don't live in North America, so eBay becomes an even less realistic option given that most promising auctions either (a) don't ship outside the US and Canada, and/or (b) are of equipment that's way too heavy to ship internationally, and/or (c) are selling equipment designed for 120V/60Hz that can't necessarily be run on 230V/50Hz without problems.

I'd love it if Tascam would re-release some international versions of their later models.

Cya
Andrew

arjoll said:
...and then of course some of us don't live in North America, so eBay becomes an even less realistic option given that most promising auctions either (a) don't ship outside the US and Canada, and/or (b) are of equipment that's way too heavy to ship internationally, and/or (c) are selling equipment designed for 120V/60Hz that can't necessarily be run on 230V/50Hz without problems.

I'd love it if Tascam would re-release some international versions of their later models.

Cya
Andrew

This reminds me of a TASCAM 234 new-in-box that I found available in the UK some time ago. Price seemed a steal @ only about $200, can't remember exactly. Anyway, the shipping costs to Canada were about that same amount! Add to this border taxes and it gets pretty expensive real fast! That's only for a 20 lb recorder mind you! :eek:

~Daniel

I agree wholeheartedly with Beck's statements,...

;) & they say lightning never strikes twice in the same place??? Heh.

I'm with you on that one, Daniel,...

but for now & until further notice, I'll continue making my best Ebay deals and dealing with the process. Things happen, of course, and it's a shame that damage has ruined a lot of otherwise nice vintage audio gear,... but it's ALWAYS the seller's fault for inadequate packing. You can beg, plead, tip big, give explicit instructions, and still, you're at the mercy of the seller. UPS is just doing it's job: delivering. ;)

I've been there repeatedly, with damaged goods,... do you want pics?

Local pickup of Ebay deals is ALWAYS the best and safest way to go, but I'll continue 24/7/365 trolling of Ebay to fulfill my higher needs and other gearslut desires.

;)

regebro, I'm very sorry for snapping & general nastiness toward you!!

I almost never agree with you, but I know you're a decent and intellegent guy, & I respect you for your contributions.

I hope we can disagree, and still be friends.

I'm very, very, very sorry for snapping at you, & I'll try not to do it again.

Please forgive me. :( :o

Last edited:
A Reel Person said:
but for now & until further notice, I'll continue making my best Ebay deals and dealing with the process. Things happen, of course, and it's a shame that damage has ruined a lot of otherwise nice vintage audio gear,... but it's ALWAYS the seller's fault for inadequate packing. You can beg, plead, tip big, give explicit instructions, and still, you're at the mercy of the seller. UPS is just doing it's job: delivering. ;)

I've been there repeatedly, with damaged goods,... do you want pics?

Local pickup of Ebay deals is ALWAYS the best and safest way to go, but I'll continue 24/7/365 trolling of Ebay to fulfill my higher needs and other gearslut desires.

;)

Can't argue with that, Dave. I mean, you're right.

~Daniel ;)

A Reel Person said:
I almost never agree with you, but I know you're a decent and intellegent guy, & I respect you for your contributions.

Well, I always do, don't I? :)

A Reel Person said:

Yeah, me too! That "get off my ass regebro" comment was meant in the most respectful and loving way possible! :D Friends, regebro ? :confused:

~Daniel ;)

New issues of classic analog recorders is a great thing,...

if it ever comes to pass.

Analog will not ever catch on to it's former mainstream acceptance and utility by average people like us. Almost e'one's gone digital, in masses, and there's no turning back for most of them.

Any new or retro reissues of analog recorders will likely be aimed at high dollar pros and the studio business. Of course, it would be easy if Tascam could tool up lots of it's older superior analog designs, to supply the rest of us, but I'm not holding my breath until then.

There's a misconception, at least concerning me, but I'm not typical:
If Tascam ever reintroduce the 38 (for instance) at $2000, I'd gladly hop over all the rest of modern & cheaper digital gear to get it. I'm not typical, of course, and YMMV.

I'm not looking for miracles on this, but it's a good sign that the final nail has not been driven in the analog coffin.

As I said above,... for used higher end classic analog gear, Ebay is about as good as it gets, for now & into the forseeable future.

However, TASCAM still has BRAND NEW 424mkIII's in VERY limited supplies at limited retail outlets,... as well as more generally available NEW 414mkII's and Porta 02mkII's,... still availabe at music retailers for limited times to come. If you're inclined to go for the 424mkIII, 414mkII or Porta 02mkII, get'em now while they last. The 424mkIII is currently on BLOWOUT CLEARANCE PRICES at retailers like Zzounds, Musiciansfriend and other online retailers.

I won't lie to ya, guys, that I got a brand new 424mkIII in 2002, and it's never left the box,... still brand new,... and I just went out and bought another brand new 424mkIII in December 04, which is still brand new in it's sealed box. Why? Do you have to ask?

Heh. ;)

A Reel Person said:
if it ever comes to pass.

Analog will not ever catch on to it's former mainstream acceptance and utility by average people like us. Almost e'one's gone digital, in masses, and there's no turning back for most of them.

Any new or retro reissues of analog recorders will likely be aimed at high dollar pros and the studio business. Of course, it would be easy if Tascam could tool up lots of it's older superior analog designs, to supply the rest of us, but I'm not holding my breath until then.

There's a misconception, at least concerning me, but I'm not typical:
If Tascam ever reintroduce the 38 (for instance) at $2000, I'd gladly hop over all the rest of modern & cheaper digital gear to get it. I'm not typical, of course, and YMMV.

I'm not looking for miracles on this, but it's a good sign that the final nail has not been driven in the analog coffin.

As I said above,... for used higher end classic analog gear, Ebay is about as good as it gets, for now & into the forseeable future.

However, TASCAM still has BRAND NEW 424mkIII's in VERY limited supplies at limited retail outlets,... as well as more generally available NEW 414mkII's and Porta 02mkII's,... still availabe at music retailers for limited times to come. If you're inclined to go for the 424mkIII, 414mkII or Porta 02mkII, get'em now while they last. The 424mkIII is currently on BLOWOUT CLEARANCE PRICES at retailers like Zzounds, Musiciansfriend and other online retailers.

I won't lie to ya, guys, that I got a brand new 424mkIII in 2002, and it's never left the box,... still brand new,... and I just went out and bought another brand new 424mkIII in December 04, which is still brand new in it's sealed box. Why? Do you have to ask?

Heh. ;)

I have recordings done on an old 688 that still blow me away from time to time. Sometimes I think they sound as good as some of my 388 demos!

Hey, sorry to drag this one back again, but i'd like to chirp in here.

I adore the sound of tape as much as anyone in here (well nearlly :)), but there is one point that nobody seems to be really mentioning:

I was seriously considering going the way of analogue but i decided this was unwise based on one thing only...........the Media!

There is simply not enough analogue tape being manufactured anymore to justify going the way of analogue. Particularly of the format that interested me, Cassette.

James H

Chromium Dioxide and standard Ferride Cassettes are more readily available than reel to reel tape, by a long shot. It's still at Wal-Mart. (!)

But if you want to use Metal pigment tape, I can understand that. Don't know if that stuff will EVER be manufactured again.

-callie-

Back