New Synth Today

Slouching Raymond

I thought I would treat myself to a new synth.
Looked up a few I'm thinking about yesterday, and decided to go for a Arturia MiniBrute2.
It came bang on time today, and I immediately checked it out.
First impression was there's a bit of weight in it, as I lifted it out of the box.
You may think that a 2 octave synth is a bit of a joke, but I gave it a chance.
It is actually a really nice thing, with good quality keys, and generally a good experience in a small package.
Have not yet got the whole measure of it yet, but it was fun to play with, and it made some good sounds.
I would really like a MatrixBrute, and ran my fingers accross one some years ago, so the MiniBrute2 is just a taster.
It is a welcome addition to the arsenal.

minibrute2.png

I thought I would treat myself to a new synth.
Looked up a few I'm thinking about yesterday, and decided to go for a Arturia MiniBrute2.
It came bang on time today, and I immediately checked it out.
First impression was there's a bit of weight in it, as I lifted it out of the box.
You may think that a 2 octave synth is a bit of a joke, but I gave it a chance.
It is actually a really nice thing, with good quality keys, and generally a good experience in a small package.
Have not yet got the whole measure of it yet, but it was fun to play with, and it made some good sounds.
I would really like a MatrixBrute, and ran my fingers accross one some years ago, so the MiniBrute2 is just a taster.
It is a welcome addition to the arsenal.

View attachment 128478
I have an Arturia Minifreak, a Korg Modwave, a Korg Wavestate, and a Moog Mother 32. All are similar in footprint to the Brute, although I usually (not always) use a controller. I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite, particularly between the Minifreak and Wavestate. The filters on the Minifreak are world-class and provide endless possibilities. The Wavestae is endlessly complex but endlessly rewarding as well. I know many claim both the Wavestate and Minifreak VI's are identical to the hardware but there is a tactile "something" missing when it comes to software. I will concede the sonics are virtually indistinguishable.

I think Arturia is knocking the ball out of the park on almost every level and hope the Brute provides you with as much fun as the Minifeak has given me!

The Wavestate is on my radar, and the Moog Grandmother.
I also have a taste for analogue-modelling synths, having owned a Korg MS2000B for nearly 20 years. It is very versatile.
I looked at the Modal Cobalt 8, and Studiologic Sledge 2.
It is worth considering odd quirky synths, before they get discontinued, and you never see them again.
I thought about buying a Minimoog in 2006, but I would have had to bust my budget. Now they're priceless.

Hi,

Well done Raymond; if you've got an itch scratch it; you're only here once so if you want something go for it; I'm sure you'll get lots of pleasure from your new synth.

I bought an Enzo Meris many months ago but have hardly played around with it due to lack of studio time but I was amazed when I did play with the the weird sounds it could produce; it was fun.

1683195290876.png

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Well done Raymond; if you've got an itch scratch it; you're only here once so if you want something go for it; I'm sure you'll get lots of pleasure from your new synth.

I bought an Enzo Meris many months ago but have hardly played around with it due to lack of studio time but I was amazed when I did play with the the weird sounds it could produce; it was fun.

View attachment 128685

Kind regards, Colin.
Colin brings up a good point here. Some years back, despite leaning heavily on softsynth VI's for my cues, I discovered the joy in hardware synths. As I mentioned and for me, there's a tactile feel, touch, and response that isn't present with VI's, especially with filters and oscillators, but also with the immediate response of fingers to keys. That journey led me to old-school style hardware effects pedals. I currently have a Strymon BigSky, a Strymon BlueSky, and a T.C. Electronic Roland Juno chorus box. I'm currently looking for a delay unit to add to the chain. With the hardware synth's the draw is mostly the "feel" as I do think sonically my VI's sound virtually identical to my hardware, with the possible exception of the MiniFreak and its lush analog filters.

On the other hand, the draw to hardware effect units is purely and noticeably sonics. Plug-ins just can't come remotely close to what those boxes sound like. Ironically I don't do a ton of recording using that aspect of my rig, rather just turn the boxes on and play. It's just really relaxing to sit and tweak into great sounds without the pressure of recording. Of course, if I do happen upon something miraculous I try to morph it into a recording of some nature, even if I come back to it much later.

Anyway, if you haven't worked a hardware effects unit into your chain I'd submit it can be pretty cost-effective and noticeably steps up the fun factor.

As good as softsynths may be, I prefer hardware. Not so keen on rack synths either, because with keys you have a complete instrument, with character.
Having got into the MiniBrute 2, it is a very well designed package. Arturia doesn't yet come with the Moog/ Dave Smith prices, so they are well worth
considering. I ought to make a post saying just how the MiniBrute 2 is good. Tossing it over.

I purchased an Arturia Drumbrute a couple of yeas ago. I used it once for as a metronome for a click track. It will be going up
for sale soon.

I purchased an Arturia Drumbrute a couple of yeas ago. I used it once for as a metronome for a click track. It will be going up
for sale soon.
So why is it bad?
I'd consider one, and expect it is probably restricted to electro-pop.
They're not too expensive.

I picked up one of the arturia keylab essential 88's used a month or so ago to use as a midi controller...paid $125 and it came with a ton of free software ..I've dabbled a bit and there are a ton of sounds...I sold my 88 MODX because I felt the keys were too loud and clanky and picked up a new MODX+7 to replace the sounds..I connected the Arturia 88 to it and it is weird...it changes the sounds a smidge ...For $125 it is not a amazing controller but I wasn't expecting it to be...just nice to have 88 keys under me when I'm in my back room..I haven't dived into the the software to adjust the touch but hopefully I can get it to be a little better than it is...

The MODX has a shit ton of sounds....I still have my Roland SH3 from 1974 but it never comes out.

This little bugger is probably the coolest thing I have ever owned and I break it out every so often...it was developed by Frank Hund one of the previous owners of Creamware when VST's and plugins were just starting to become a thing....creamware killed it with mini moog, pro odyssey and hammond emulation. Frank put this out and it was a cult hit for those of us willing to put up with the goofy way you had to get the plugins loaded...nowadays they are hard to find and most only have the stock plugs (that are still kick ass)
I have all the plugs to share but they are useless without the proprietary digtal key you need to install them...kind of a shame because this little beast is winner..At least mine has em and they still work..I could sit in my room and travel the universe for days with that thing. Who needs drugs.... :laughings:

Last edited:
OK, the itch has re-occurred!
This beauty is currently winging its way from Germany, for an ETA of next week:
Sledge2.png
I saw a video of Rick Wakeman talking about it, and he said he liked it. He'll have got his for free though.
I've already said I have a soft spot for Analogue Modelling Synths.
Looking forward to it.

Hi,

Nice looking bit of gear Raymond; Christmas has come early. All you need now is lots of time to play with it.

for sale soon.

Reading this I too thought you were displeased with it thinking it would put others off buying.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Nice looking bit of gear Raymond; Christmas has come early. All you need now is lots of time to play with it.

Reading this I too thought you were displeased with it thinking it would put others off buying.

Kind regards, Colin.
Not a all. I really have no clue what it can do.

The Sledge 2 arrived today. It was due to arrive yesterday, and I stayed in all day for it. In reality it sat in the courier's warehouse till late yesterday evening.
I'm a bit hesitant about ordering stuff from DV247, because it always has to come from Germany, taking about a week, and with no hard delivery date.
I decided to go for it now, because there don't seem to be any stocks at UK online stores.
On opening the box, the yellowness of it got my attention.
It is a big beast, and the control panel must be at least half an acre, with big chunky knobs on it.
I plugged in some headphones, and tried the preset sounds, which were impressive.
You have to download the user manual, and from the few paragraphs I read, it is obvious it was not written by a native english speaker, but translated into english.
The impression now is that the Sledge 2 has plenty of character, and capability, which is what I expected.
I think we are going to be friends.
I now have a small collection of synths, so can explore combinations of them, for creativity.
Further spending will have to wait, but there is a wishlist in mind.

Your Sledge 2 looks nice. Immediately reminded me of my old Kawai K-3, which was 15kg and felt like twice that when I had to lift the dang thing. I see used ones are still selling for what they were new and a bit more.

I have a youtube channel, clickable through my website romeobravo.net
Cleared it mostly out, some time ago. I'll have to dust off my GoPro.
When my Win 7 pc crashed, it took with it my accurate video editer, making it impossible for me to synch multi-track audio to video now.
My only video editing machine is too slow for synching.
Enough with the excuses, I'll see what I can do. About time for a new video.

Back