New Synth < 1500$... motif 6?

Swede

Hi!

Right now I have a Roland RS-5 and I'm getting sick of the way it sounds. I want something better. I've got 1500$ max to spend. It's got to be an allround synth, but I've got to have nice pianos and electric pianos.

My options this far (swedish prices converted to us dollars)

Yamaha motif 6 (1300$)
Kort triton Le 61 (1300$)
Roland Fantom XR (about 1500$)

The only one of them I've tried is the motif and I really liked the way it sounds. A plus is the built in sequenser (is missing in the fantom XR) and the sampler (is missing in the Triton Le). Anyone got another suggestion? Is it wise to get the motif?

A motif ES or a triton Extreme is twice as expensive as the motif 6. Are those really worth that much more?

Hi Swede-

I recently got the rack version of the Motif and, so far, I'm really impressed with the sounds. Honestly, I've played most of the different keyboards out there and, to me, they all pretty much sound the same. Of course, there are differences, but everyone has a servicable Rhodes, B-3, strings, etc., etc. Sure, they all sound a little different, but, when all is said and done, Roland, Korg, Yamaha will all handle the basic chores with aplomb and any of us would be hard pressed to tell which one was which on a recording (well, I know I couldn't!). Things usually get interesting when you start looking at the ancillary functions- sequencers, drum sounds, modulation routings, alternate controllers, etc. But, I have to say, some of the sounds in the Motif have really caught my ear. I'm still exploring so it's hard to say how I'm going to feel down the line, but, right now, it seems like a solid unit. I've got a KARMA which has the Triton soundset and those are great and I like them. But the Motif seems to cut through a little better. Personally, I am ALWAYS disappointed with Roland gear, but I know I'm in the minority.

Hope that helps some. Good luck and let us know what you get and how you like it.

Ted

tedluk said:
Personally, I am ALWAYS disappointed with Roland gear, but I know I'm in the minority.

Hope that helps some. Good luck and let us know what you get and how you like it.

Ted

I've never been into ROLAND myself, I did like the old D-50 though...anyways I own a Motif 6 and love it. It all depends on what you will be using your board for. I bought mine strictly for the sounds and for live use, so I couldn't tell you anything about the sequencer. I plan to get the vocoder plug in board next. You can also go here: http://www.motifator.com/ for more info. The FORUM is great!

Ben

Every model you've mentioned should be fine for un upgrade.
Personally I prefer the Motif and the Fantom X, because they have more acoustic oriented sounds. The Triton LE has a lot of synthetic stuff (very good pads).
It all depends from what you need.
the Motif ES is probably the more powerful workstation around.
Respect the classic motif it has a new chip, that sound a little different.In overall it has a more punchy sound in the lower freq...and of course, more voices and more wavetable.
Two days ago I've tested also an Extreme 61 and I found that's very very good!! a good improvement respect the triton classic.

so...go and try something...in the end you've to buy a synth that YOU like! :D

Back