New stuff from my band......

jrlemonz

Hey ya'll, my band went back in for another session at my house. We definatelty came out with the best stuff I've done yet, I'm very proud of it. It amazes me how I use the same gear, and I get such a different sound every time. Anyways here's the list:

Drums - Premier Artist Maple Kit (22", 12", 16") Pearl free floating piccollo snare
Mics - 57 on snare, superlux mics on toms and kick, octava mk319 as overheads all through a Mackie 1604VLZPro.

Guitars - SG's through a Mesa Dual Rec + Marshall 1960(other guiatarist), and SG'a and LP's through a Marshall JCM800 + Marshgall 1960(me). 57's on the cabs.

Bass - Deluxe American Ash Body Jazz Bass direct through an Ampeg SVT3.

Vox - AT 3035 through the same Mackie 1604VLZPRO.

Recorded through a Guillemot ISIS 8x4 (16 bit) card. Tracked and mixed in Nuendo. We're going and getting it mastered next week alogn with the rest of our new cd. I'll be posting other songs off it for comments.

The band is "Inner Truth" - song, "Nothing At All". If you want to hear the improvement just in MY skills at this stuff, go to mp3.com/innertruth and check out our original demo. It amazes me, cause I didn't ever conicously think I got better at it, I don't think I'm really doing anything differently, but i MUST be! All the same gear (minus vocal mic and different guitar amps), yet they sound like absolute shit and this doesn't.

Thanks! - Jake

Sounds good. You definitely have improved a great deal. The guitars, bass, and vocals all sound good. The only kvetch I have is that I think the kick drum should punch through the mix better, to drive the song harder. Is there a front head on the kick? With a hole, or without? What kind of beater does your drummer use? I've found it somewhat difficult to get the punch I like, but I'm currently having success by putting a Sennheiser e602 about two inches back from the batter head (I have no front head on the drum), and using a hard plastic beater. I usually need to put a compressor on the kick, and push it up way high in the mix while cutting some low end so as not to blow my sub.

OK, I looked at yours, now will you look at mine? Pleeezze?

The kick has a front head (with a precut hole), he uses a hard rubber beater, and the mic is pointed right at it. I can hear and feel the kick on most systems I checked it on, but it could be a little more prominent. I'll check out yours right away.

jake

I should clarify--the only times the kick sound is an issue are when the other instruments are doing a lot too. On my system, at least, it covered the kick up. I should try it with headphones though.

Jake,

Very nice, im listening to it again. Really dig the guitar work. I really appreciate some good down n dirty rock sometimes and this satifies my yearning.

About the mix, I also agree with Whoopy guy that the kick is no where to be found. I dont have experience in micing live drums so i dont know where to start on to help you there.

But thats all i can hear wrong with it. Great singing! Although the screaming at the end sounds good but generic, almost like i heard that exact same thing in other songs, not that im saying you copied, but the style sounds close to other stuff ive heard.
Kinda like Papa Roach.

Good job!

Man will someone post some crap. Everyone keeps posting cool stuff.

john

Wow!
Very full and a great capture of the song.

The second git gets a little lost in the intro(minor thang)

Nice use of backup and vocal melodies. Cool git pans.
The drums could pound a little more but, I can't record live drums worth shit so I say fine effort and good results.

Theron.

Back