New studio setup - is this all i need?

abm123

All right i am not sure where to put this thread but this seems like a good place. Here is the deal, i am building a home studio but i want to make sure i have everything covered so i dont buy everything and then find out i have to spend another 200 on something for it to work well. Here is the setup i am looking at. <br>
-Sonar 3 studio edition-200
-delta 1010lt interface-265
-Studio Projects C1 mic-200
-Shure Sm57 mic-75
-behringer ub-2222 mixer-270 (drummer will cover this)
-DMP3 preamp-160

Is this everything i will need to record like 6 mic tracks at a time and do high quality vocals and instruments. What type of cables do i need and how many? Please help me i dont want to spend 850 and then need to buy more shit.

I would get a few more mics for the drums. You don't really need expensive ones particularly. You might want to get some mic stands too. If you've got six mics on the drums then you're going to need something to hold them in place. I've got three proper mic stands and the rest are bastardised cymbal stands. Remember gaffa tape is your friend.

With limited inputs and mics I reckon you would get best results from tracking. I mean recording the drums and a guide/scratch guitar track live, then replacing everything else afterwards. I use decent mics on overheads, the kick drum and snare and use cheapo mics on the toms. Then use the same mics again on guitars, bass and vocals.

Also, get a stocking on a coathanger for a popsheild, a load of random leads and adapters and a couple of good pairs of headphones.

i forgot to mention that drum mics are being taken care of by the drummer and they would have clips and cables. Also i own 3 boom stands.

Why would i have limited inputs if i got a delta 1010lt with 10 i/o

You will have 8 i/o with a 1010LT. The only way you can get more i/o is to use something to convert the two SPDIF digital channels to analogue channels or to get another card. You can always buy one then another later if 8 i/o isn't enough.

You'll be fine with 8 though. Anywhere between 4 and 7 inputs for the drums and then the rest for guide tracks.

Oh, and by "another card" I mean so you have two 1010LTs working togeter not another brand superduper card with more i/o. I personally haven't found any other cards with more i/o that aren't megabucks.

Back