New Studio Checklist

wtfuhz

5 dollar loud blunts
In order of importance, what do you think anyone building a home studio should get first? i.e. mic, DAW, interface, etc...

All the things you would need to record the most basic piece ~ mic, recorder/DAW {within this I'll include interface and computer if not using a standalone or tape machine}, cable for mic, possibly a stand, tape {if that's what you're using}, headphones, something to monitor out of (either hi fi speakers or monitor speakers ~ headphones can be deceptive on their own). A book or two and the internet. Start small, progress, grow in small but effective steps.

I'd agree with massive, but i'd add quality sounding instruments/musicians.

I think the sound going in, and how accurately you can hear the reproduction is so much more important than all the gear in between.

I'd also recommend punching above your weight gear wise, if you're in it for the long haul.
Don't get a two channel interface if you're likely to be doin drums in a few months.........that kind of thing.

A LOT of money can be saved by getting good stuff from the get-go.

I'd also recommend punching above your weight gear wise, if you're in it for the long haul.
Don't get a two channel interface if you're likely to be doin drums in a few months.........that kind of thing.

A LOT of money can be saved by getting good stuff from the get-go.

I'm with ya Steen... my most common bit of advice to noobs is "save more" - buying a compleat studio package for $200 might be some people's way in, and I guess it's a foot in the door, but really, buying semi decent stuff in the first place will save you in the end...

Especially when said noob posts a gear list including 5 guitars, 6 amplifiers etc. etc. Clearly they can find money for gear if they want to..

OP - people go on about monitors and room treatment because it's often the last thing that people invest in - they buy a bunch of stuff and post about how they're having troubles with X, Y and Z and eventually reveal they're listening through headphones, or el-crappo stereo speakers in a 6 x 6 x 6 concrete bunker that their pa uses to store beans and ammo for when the apocolypse comes... it is important! Don't forget it...

I'm with ya Steen... my most common bit of advice to noobs is "save more" - buying a compleat studio package for $200 might be some people's way in, and I guess it's a foot in the door, but really, buying semi decent stuff in the first place will save you in the end...

Especially when said noob posts a gear list including 5 guitars, 6 amplifiers etc. etc. Clearly they can find money for gear if they want to..

OP - people go on about monitors and room treatment because it's often the last thing that people invest in - they buy a bunch of stuff and post about how they're having troubles with X, Y and Z and eventually reveal they're listening through headphones, or el-crappo stereo speakers in a 6 x 6 x 6 concrete bunker that their pa uses to store beans and ammo for when the apocolypse comes... it is important! Don't forget it...

Whoa,,,you really take that to heart! lol...

But yeah, ultimately, you're right.

What if the person had a few things already like a good mic, interface, instruments, and mediocre software? What would be their next target to get? Better software, monitors, room treatment, or preamps?

So the best way to go would probably be to get monitors, then treatment, then preamps, and lastly software?

It goes to the "Two Rules" of audio:

1) No matter anything - Years of experience, amazing listening skills, the greatest equipment in the world -- You will only ever hear as accurately and consistently as your monitoring chain allows you to hear.

2) No matter if you're using the most spectacular $40,000 audiophile loudspeakers available, your speakers will only ever be as accurate and consistent as the room they're in allows them to be.

You can buy all sorts of stuff and have no idea how it actually sounds. Or you can get the monitoring chain and room in order and actually have an understanding and connection with your other gear.

When you can hear everything properly, you can make the most out of everything. When you can't, the greatest gear on the planet won't help.

Software is relatively unimportant -- Reaper is just as capable as most other programs out there. Preamps are certainly important, but there are a few "cheapies" that are actually quite decent (assuming you can hear what they're doing properly, of course). M-Audio's DMP3 is cheap as hell and very capable.

The room is important for sure, but so is a good versatile mic collection, decent preamps (the Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic 100 is a bargain IMO. But I'm a semi lo-fi guy) or even better a mixing desk with good stock preamps, hardware effects, etc.
And if you're expecting to record more than more musician at the time get a good multitrack soundcard or tape recorder right from the start. There's nothing worse than EQing for ages because the sound card is a piece of crap.

Back