New studio, ceiling question.

ONEsnowRIDER

I have just cleared out my 14' by 11' cinder block shed, I’m making it into a recording studio ...I know it’s kinda small, but it’s just me recording, and It’s the only room not filled with $#!%. I’ve done hours of research, wow, just starting to find out lots I didn’t know, I have a few things I can’t determine how to get around on the construction of the studio.

Kinda hard to explain, but here we go–

1- The ceiling isn’t finished yet ...just the ceiling joists. So I don’t have any right angles or 45 degree angles, I was thinking about building a second ceiling in between the roof joists and the ceiling joists, the finished product would still be showing the original ceiling joists. This way I would have a higher ceiling in my 9' wide, 8' long, 8 to 9' tall sound room, and with the angled walls I shouldn’t get sounds bouncing off each other. The real drawback is then my room within a room is tied to the ceiling, so really its no longer a room within a room. Enough rambling...

If you haven’t guessed it by now, I’m VERY new to recoding, this being said my next question is sure to bring some laughter :)

2- In the diagrams I’ve seen of studios, it shows the control room has base traps. Are the traps for the control room monitors?

a- Does any one have a good URL for the newest of newbs on basics of the studio, maybe something on what every room is used for, construction etc.

Ok you can stop laughing now :), any help would be greatly appreciated.

About three years ago when I went into my first studio to record an EP with one of my many "We're gonna be rock stars" bands, I though that looks so easy, and I just paid him $70 an hour to record a 4 song CD. (ha ha ha)

I went to Borders the next day and bought 1 of each of these magazines-

Electronic Musician
Mix Magazine
Home Recording
Recording
EQ Magazine

I subscribed to Mix for the dreamer side of me, and subscribed to Home Recording for the Newbie in me... the magazine has helped me a lot, along with asking questions from guys who have been doing this thing for years...

Home Recording usually has build it tips in most issues for people converting small spaces or odd spaces into home studios...

And I will stop rambling now...

BY THE WAY: I'm not saying don't buy any of these other magazines because I ended up getting all of them, I just got those 2 first

Bass traps are for controlling the low frequencies that tend to build up in the corners of small rooms.
For a small room like yours, here's what I'd recommend:

Use Auralex foam to deaden the side of the room where your mixing desk will be. This includes the wall panels to deaden the higher freq. and bass traps to control lower ones. Then diffuse the other end of the room with bookshelves, knicknacks, Gold Records, etc...
The point is to either deaden walls, or eliminate any perpindicular surfaces where sound waves can bounce back and forth.
Good luck,

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Back