new studio.... again

NinthHour

hey guys im setting up shop in my 30x30 garage the thing is it is unfinished and open studs now my budget doesnt allow for a bunch of 703 and drywall etc so my plan is to insulate and leave the walls uncovered for the time being although i previously built some polycylindrical diffusors that i will be using on the walls to my question to you guys is what potential problems do you see here and any things i should consider layout is already established just wondering about placement of diffusion etc thanks in advance

Don't forget to insulate the ceiling too. If you aren't concerned about sound getting in or out you might be alright without adding drywall, if sound transmission is a concern you are going to need to add mass. Garage doors present some problems, they are noisy and offer little as far as stopping sound transmission. Roll up doors are the worse for noise, they rattle and the springs can cause some strange sounds on recordings. Mics tend to "hear" things our ears ignore. In a fairly large open space a few gobos can help a lot. The open stud/insulation idea should work as midrange absorbtion but you may want to add bass traps. Got bare concrete floor? If so a few throw rugs or pieces of carpet can help cut some reflections (and lessen fatigue on legs.) Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

good call about the door i was wondering what to do with it i belive i will be placing insulation over the door and mybe wrapping the springs so they dont pick up any sympathetic vibrations the floor is partially carpeted in my mixing/control area mainly sound transmission isnt a huge deal as im away from the neighbors quite a bit i just dont wana sink a lot of cash into rehabing the garage because its a rental the wife and i are in the process of building ourhouse so that will involve a studio build i can really dig into thanks for the help so far im working on the insulation now ill post some pics soon

Back