new song

fendersk8911

Hello Everyone...

recorded a new song yesterday. It is called Rain.

Let me know what you all think!

(p.s. I know the vocals are pretty quiet and buried...that's kind of one of the things about this particular project. More about feeling and melody of vocals rather than actual lyrics.)

Thanks!

http://soundcloud.com/cc0919/rain

Very relaxing fenders... very relaxing... the kind of music you want playing when you get a massage. If that new age sound is what you are going for you have succeeded. Nice to hear a vocal being used in the genre, so often its stoned electrica.

I like the mix. Nice and soft sound you've got there.

Vocals should be easy to dig out a bit, maybe a little touch of 3kHz in the backing vocals to bring them out a little.
And the lead vocals, I really like the choice of reverb you've got going here, you just need to make the balance swing a little towards the dry/direct sound. Either drop the reverb a bit or bring up the dry channel. A tricky one to judge as I like the way the reverb sits against the rest of the music, and the vocal doesn't sound too quiet just a bit lost, probably the solution is to do a little of both.

Very nice, mellow tune. I only have one real critique.

At the very beginning, the acoustic was really rushing ahead of the drum, and it was very unsettling (IMO). As the song went on, it settled in nicely, and it sounded much better.

Nice vocal, and some nice melodies there. :)

Not sure why, but, I had to crank my volume way up to hear anything... And it seemed a somewhat muddy/muffled to Me... But, I was listening on headphones so I dunno...

The beginning is a bit too repetitive, shorten it a bit and bring the vocals into the mix sooner.

I'd like to here a bass line, any chance of adding one. It doesn't have to be anything really snazzy, just something to add depth to the song. A few well placed sustained bass notes and some slides would add warmth to the tune.

Absolutely lovely fender, really enjoyed this one. I think laz777's suggestion about some subtle bass is a good one.

Two other things from my listen:

1. I can hear some digital distortion on the lead vocal from around 3.00 onwards. Not sure what's causing it, but could do with looking at.

2. When the cascading piano notes came in right at the end, I thought - fuck that sounds great, why wasn't it brought in earlier. It's your work obviously, but I'd love at least part of the song to have some slow cascading notes played through it - just as a contrast. I reckon that if you kept that and the bass subtle you could add a little more depth without ruining the ambient feel.

I'll definitely have to look into that distortion...and adding a subtle bassline is definitely something I will try out, along with adding the Casiotone in a few other places to see how it sounds

I think laz777's suggestion about some subtle bass is a good one.

Two other things from my listen:

2. When the cascading piano notes came in right at the end, I thought - fuck that sounds great, why wasn't it brought in earlier. It's your work obviously, but I'd love at least part of the song to have some slow cascading notes played through it - just as a contrast. I reckon that if you kept that and the bass subtle you could add a little more depth without ruining the ambient feel.

I second that. Some bass on the chord changes would really fill it out.

It's got a real nice feel and mood to it. Well done.

Back