New Song

sounds really cool...
i love the drumming...
it all is really well balanced.
i wanted to leap out of my seat and attempt an interprative dance to the song...
:D:D:D

Nice tune VSpaceBoy. The only thing I didn't like about it was the clean guitar sound which I think is just sloppy playing. Looking forward to hearing some vocals in this.

It took me about 15 minutes to dl this, but it was worth it. I even recorded it to my hard drive I like it so much....

Excellent drumming, dude!

The drums sound great, although the toms are panned a little wider than I prefer. I noticed a slight timing nit when the bass first comes in. Did you use a click track? I also think the guitar lead could come up a little.

Overall a great tune, has a big rock sound when everything kicks in. Nice job!

VSpaceBoy said:
Hey guys.. I have a new song that I would like for you to listen and comment on the tracking/mixing. No vox yet but anything else please feel.. especially the drums! :mad:

Thanks!! :D

Good Luck Charm
Sneaking a listen at work on my earbuds: :eek:

The drums are definitely a focal point in this tune - like lead drums a bit. The piano at the beginning is more a backup instrument. That's not a volume thing - it's a playing thing...because the drums are jazzy....

The bass comes in and takes away some of the focus......

When the guitar comes it gets most balanced....but then toward the end the drums grab the spotlight again.

Excellent arranging/playing on this one......

:) :) :) :)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

random.hero: lmao.. we'll have you in when we shoot the video!

NYMorningstar: Yea I agree.. I recorded all the piano, guitar, and bass tracks yesterday morning when I went to work. LOTTA mistakes. I'll clean em up. And I agree about the tone as well..

Mad: thanks for the feedback. I'll bring the toms in some. How do you thing the drums sound? I think I captured a better snare than in the past but I'm still not sure about the kick sound. No we didn't play with a click. He played along with a guitar track in his cans.

ido1957: Thanks for the feedback. In you opionion, are you saying you like the drums as the focal, or that he should hand back a little more? I agree about the bass getting a little busy here also, I noticed that today. I'll retrack it.

VSpaceBoy said:
Mad: thanks for the feedback. I'll bring the toms in some. How do you thing the drums sound? I think I captured a better snare than in the past but I'm still not sure about the kick sound. No we didn't play with a click. He played along with a guitar track in his cans.
Overall the drums sound very good. The toms are well defined, the cymbals are clear. It sounds to me like he was playing with the snares off during the more melodic parts, so I think the tone is just fine. The kick sound works for me within the context of this song - it doesn't always have to be a thumping beast IMO.

No click, and drums done to a guitar track? Kudos to your drummer, then. :cool:

VSpaceBoy said:
ido1957: Thanks for the feedback. In you opionion, are you saying you like the drums as the focal, or that he should hand back a little more? I agree about the bass getting a little busy here also, I noticed that today. I'll retrack it.
Just personal preference I would take the drums down a touch...but leave the bass where it is....Again this is just my preference....I'm a recording newb so keep that in mind (lol) :D :D :D

MadAudio said:
Overall the drums sound very good. The toms are well defined, the cymbals are clear. It sounds to me like he was playing with the snares off during the more melodic parts, so I think the tone is just fine. The kick sound works for me within the context of this song - it doesn't always have to be a thumping beast IMO.

No click, and drums done to a guitar track? Kudos to your drummer, then. :cool:

Good ear, yes the snares were off like you suggested.

As for the drum tracking, what we normally do is run cans out of my practice amp for him to wear. Then I try and get into it for him for the proformance. even though I can't hear myself :D

ido1957 said:
Just personal preference I would take the drums down a touch...but leave the bass where it is....Again this is just my preference....I'm a recording newb so keep that in mind (lol) :D :D :D
Nope thats perfect. Less is more sometimes. (I mean knowledge not volume :D )

VSpaceBoy said:
Nope thats perfect. Less is more sometimes. (I mean knowledge not volume :D )
Personally I like the drums up front like that. But being a drummer, I'm biased! :D

VSpaceBoy said:
Hey guys.. I have a new song that I would like for you to listen and comment on the tracking/mixing. No vox yet but anything else please feel.. especially the drums! :mad:

Thanks!! :D

Good Luck Charm
Space, I just wanna say...I think this is the most excellent creation I have heard from you to date. I also want to say...this kicks much awesome ass!!!!
I stopped after the first 60 secs, my guts told me this was going to kick ass all the way through and downloaded as a keeper!! I am going to go on one of my musical love rantings I suppose, but when something moves my heart like this, I can't help it!! This freaking song is soooooo freaking good!! It is a number one hit, if I ever heard one!! Ya guys never cease to amaze me!! Man!! It rocks Space! This should be the song your album/CD circles around. Kicking much ass!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: Don't let that drummer go, even if he is an asshole drummer. He has the heart for it. Fuk!! I am going wild here!! Okay, enough of my musical love ranting!!

Intro of drums is excellent. Timing is excellent.
The drums are excellent!! I wouldn't change them in anyway. I usually like to hear more emphasis on the kick, but the choice to let the snare, toms and cymbals have precedence, is one of brilliance. Leave the cymbals as is...they are the icing on the cake in the drum section. The drums are definately the hook of this song. Kudos to the drummer!!

The piano is also used most graciously. Intro is so lovely and heart catching. The complimentariness of it's use is also one of brilliance. The soft melodic laid back style of the playing so emphasises the steady drive of the drums. It brings a warmth to the song. Kudos to the piano player!!

The bass is great! There are places I can barely hear it, it blends so well...but it is giving another instrument showcase time. Then, when the bass has it's showcase time, it is impressive!! Love it!! The full tone of the bass is excellent and just right!! Kudos to the bass player!!

The rhythm guitar could come up some in the mix. I like the simple chording and the great choice of tone with it also!!...it sounds so cool. An excellent partner for the lead axe!! Kudos to the rhythm axeman!!

The lead axe....it can definately come up in the mix. I love the choice of tone for this song. I do think a 'sustain melodic note' leadaxe solo, beginning at 2:30 going to 3:30 would be so cool...as I listened to the awesome buildup, that is heading to the leadaxe outro of the song, I kept hearing this in my bwain...just a suggestion!!

To the composer and arranger of this song....you rock !! You have a great talent for instrumentation placing. You may not even realize this.

As far as vocals go...I think they should flucuate from very soft to very powerful, yet sound as an instrument itself. That may sound weird, but that is how I hear it in my bwain. The vocals should not take away from the instrumetation of it all. This is of course, just my opinion. I can't wait to hear what you do with it, vocal wise. This song is so kick ass!!

I have been listening now for around 30 listens now. Trying to give each instrument attention. I usually do not spend this much time on listening. 10 times generally my limit. But this song is so good, I can't help it. I want to marry whomever composed and arranged it. If they are already married, I will be their mistress and if it is a Lady, I will become a les... :eek: :D :D :D I am kidding ya all!! ;)(see how easily I am led by music...it is the devil's playground!! :eek: )

Hey, I ain't shitting ya all, this is a masterpiece( I don't believe ya have to be a Bethoven to write a masterpiece, just use your heart)....I am truely taken in by it.

Space, congratulations on such a wonderful piece of music!!

I am going to try and download a song from each of you guys, that has affected me this way and put them all on one CD...I can then have it played at my funeral someday :eek: ...hopefully a long way off!! :D

Wow True. Wow.

That has to be the most extensive complements I've ever received.

Thank you so much for taking the time and commenting the way you did, it means alot. Not to mention makes me feel good about the song.

It sucks that I'm going to ruin it when I try to sing over it, but BAH! :mad: :D

Anyhow, that is a song I wrote for my parents. It'll make more sense when you hear the lyrics. On that recording, I played all the instruments except for drums. (I'll send love to the drummer for ya :) ) I agree with what you said about putting a lead there in the middle, I'll to that. :)

Thanks again!!! :)

Like most have said the drums are very good, sort of shows some Bonham influence to me anyway. Piano at intro is also great as well-is that a Roland by chance? Bass is a little too out front, unless you are going for a Paul McCartney sound for it, he's alway got it cranked up. Is lead guitar direct through a processor? Its got some psychodelic sound going on there.
All is very nice!!! :cool:

Nice start man...very cool intro. I like the panning on the drums.....not being a drummer, I don't know exactly how they should sound. They may be too big (spread apart...). I think it will sound cool with vox.....if you want it ruined, send me the words..... :D
You'll do just fine man.... :cool:

Nice playing all around. Good sounds. Mix is good. All the parts seem to have good space, and nice tones. I like when the distorted guitar kicks in...nice groove. Very cool tune man.....can't wait for the vox....

This sounds great man.

I love the panning on the drums some of the better stuff I`ve heard.
The drumming rocks, It reminds me a bit of Ginger Baker in his Cream days.

It also defenitly has a Zep feel to it.

Some parts of the song could perhaps do with some more mid/highs on the bass pherhaps a little distrotion would give it a cool flavor.

Anyway thats two evil rockin tunes today, thank you everso much for sharing this beauty. :cool:

The rhythm guitar does sound lazy.
The drums sound too busy simply due to the panning (I'm using h'phones). I like em heaps but reckon a closer panning would give more power & less flutter.
The change is a bit overfamiliar.
At 3.44 the solo/arpeggio is way to hackneyed for the rest of the piece - sounds like ideas were getting thin. I reckon you need to go back after a while & record something else & A - B for a while until you find something original that compliments the piece.
All that said, I like this heaps.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Dogman: Thanks and I've brough in the toms :) It does sound better

Nakatira: THanks, yea I'm having trouble with the sounds of the bass. I think i'm going to retrack it with a different bass.

rayc: I don't understand a few of your comments
"The change is a bit overfamiliar" meaning boring? Unoriginal?
"the solo/arpeggio is way to hackneyed for the rest of the piece" what does "hackneyed" mean? Anyhow, it is a little boring, but its meant to compliment the vocals (that aren't there yet). I do plan on adding some leads in the middle of the song.

Thanks again guys, you all been a great help!

"The change is a bit overfamiliar" Not unoriginal but close to something else.

"the solo/arpeggio is way to hackneyed for the rest of the piece" what does "hackneyed" mean? Anyhow, it is a little boring, but its meant to compliment the vocals (that aren't there yet). I do plan on adding some leads in the middle of the song.
Yeah, it's a "Been Done Before" thing, though if they carry a vocal line they won't get as much scrutiny. It's just that with the explosion of ideas in the song there are a couple of less imaginatice spots that stand out in comparison. There are a million variations to an appeggio. Why not experiment with something less safe?
As I inferred - I nit picked BECAUSE I like the piece a lot & want it to achieve its potential.
Mayhap the vocal will ice the thing perfectly & all my comments will be quibbling little nothings.

Back