new song: WOMAN OF MYSTERY

mjhamil

Gerry (ido1957) and I are almost done/ waiting for live drum on this one. Gerry on guitars: LP rythm, Strat lead, Mike on Fender Jazz5 Bass, Vocals, synth drums for now. Experimenting with some new mixing software from Cakewalk also: what do you think?
MP3 Player SoundClick

I don't know why nobody's replied to this. Maybe it's cuz you've got only 52 posts racked up. Dunno. Anyway, it's really good. But it's got me puzzled, cuz it's good, but it's not right, and I'm not sure why. I think the easiest way to improve it would be to cut that delicious bass about 2 dB and bump the vocal up a decibel. Right now the mix is coming across as too dark, despite the fact that the bass isn't too bassy. So that means it's too loud, right? Turn down the bass. Then give it to the ME. That's my prescription. :)

The panning is pretty radical: vocal, bass & lead all up centre, rhythm guitar L & drums R.
The middle is very busy with the lead & bass playing variations on the vocal.
I assume you've tried the old trusted panning system - was it making things more difficult?
the song souonds pretty good though the catch phrase is a well worn.

Thanks Dobro and Ray! Experimenting with new software Cakewalk CA2A, sounds great in studio but final mix seems different. Must be applying it incorrectly or....Waiting for drumtrack, then remix. Soon I hope...

Back