New song -Winter sun - please critique

stillnoname

Hey, I'm just finishing up my new song and would like some input from you guys before putting the final touches on. I don't usually record this genre - it has a more acoustic feel, but so far I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

I think the part that may need some work is the sound of the toms and possibly some track level issues, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks!

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=17014

Opinions and suggestions in bullet points:

- The snare seems just a smidge too loud.
- The picked guitar part at 1:00 can come up a wee bit more. Then maybe let it fall back to normal volume right before the dropout section ?
- I think the solo at 1:40 can come out some more. Some automation to build energy on the buildup before it would be cool too.
- You are right about the toms. Not sure if is a lack of sustain or attack. The tom hit at 1:32 is the worst offender. I struggle with toms too so not sure what to recommend about this.
- The whole drum kit seems really dry...maybe a little (more) reverb?

I love the composition and the way the bass and guitar sound together. Very well recorded! I am still a noob, so I may or may not know what I am talking about here :D

i took me a couple listens to decide if i liked the drums. i was at first iffy about the ringy snare and flat deep toms, but they grew on me. As far as the guitars i liked the subtleness of everything it went well with the overall vibe of the song. the bass tone works well also.

if you got the energy to do it maybe you should try another tracking of the drums with a flatter less ringy snare and brighter toms.

it sound good though.

Thanks for the helpful replies! I think I will play around with the EQ on the toms and snare a bit and add some reverb to the drums (there was none previously except on the snare, but the whole set could use some for sure). I do like a loud snare, but I suppose it could come down a bit. I agree that the electric guitar parts could be a bit louder, so I'll see what I can do there. I was just worried that it would overpower the acoustic.

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments. I will post an update when I make some changes - hopefully in the next few days.

Ok, the playing sounds really good. The whole track is really good. The only thing is the snare has a ring to it. Which doesn't seem too snare like. So maybe a different snare tone would distract less form the great job of playing. The recording, the mixing, the playing is all rockin'.

:)

Back