New song to critique...

ssseals

I've uploaded my newest song "The Last Surprise" on my Myspace page if you would be so kind to listen & give me any comments from writing, lyrics to mixing.

Recorded on Adobe Audition, EMU 1280m interface, MXL & CAD mics, PODxt, Takamine & Guild acoustics, Tele, P lyte bass...

Thanks in advance...

http://www.myspace.com/shaneseals

I checked out "The Last Surprise" on your Myspace site. I was listening through computer speakers, so I didn't get the full benefit of what you created. However, it sounded very solid and professional to me.

At a whisker over two minutes, it's the shortest song I've heard for a while. For me, that's not a bad thing, because I have the attention span of a nostril hair. You certainly gave that two minutes full value; there wasn't a wasted second.

Rhymically the song is strong and commanding. The change shortly before the end was an unexpected but enjoyable musical surprise, and added a whole new dimension to the track.

Backing vocals were great, specially in that bridge bit.

The lead vocal was okay . . . perhaps there's a whisker too much wail in its quality . . . but that's the nature of the song too, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Lyrically the song is okay . . . the words and phrasing fit the whole mood set by the piece, so it all works. My preference, thjough, is for lyrics that don't use common words and phrases. I would rate this song very highly were I to have heard more original and challenging lyrics.

While at your site I had a listen to "Return", which came on automatically. That track reveals more of your talent . . . it is excellent . . . and I wonder whther that creative flair can be brought to bear on the lyrics of "The last surprise"; after all, you've already come up with an awesome title!

Great comments, thanks so much... Lyrics are usually the last to get finished & probably not my strong suit, so I agree with you. That said, I do try to write pretty broad lyrics intentionally, so it's probably a combination of the two.

Thanks again for listening & giving such insight. And for challenging me with one of my weaknesses, that'll get extra attention next time.

Shane

Back