new song 'The Return'

kormaniac

Ok Fellas...and gals...a new song here.
I had a heck of a time with the low end since its a bit heavier than the last song that I wore you all down with...and again...your comments will really help. I think (I hope) this one is starting off better than Bleed originally did. I've got my kevlar suit on...so let the bullets fly...

oh...and generally I'm not a fan of the morose...and this song has a pretty twisted topic regarding the mother who drowned her 5 kids....and the words for this song were finished with no connection to that topic. Then the singer added the news bulletins and it just fit...the return is the haunting this mother gets from her children.

man u get great "uneasy" sounds....really fucking great.
the guitar right at the begining is just a teensy bit behind the beat...but i heard it.the upper bass register is way loud...

i wont lie and say i would listen to this all day but i can say the production is about 1000 times better right off the bat!..

jamal

Thanks man....i really appreciate that...
what do you mean the upper bass is too loud? Do you mean through the entire song? that i should maybe but in a global lowshelf to about 200hz set at -2 db or something? Thanks again!!!

rattlin' covers

sorry about that new thread mistake....

ok...thanks jamal....it might be too 'hot' overall too...I might try that a little...and maybe lower the level...a splash of compression might help maybe. The chorus is the major trouble with this song as far as low end...thats where the bass and guitar are really hitting the low Drop D notes....thanks for the input.

The vocals are flat and sharp throughout the entire song and the mix is so harsh it's barely listenable.

odd

Thats strange kramer....you and jamal seem to be completely at opposite ends...
So...what would be helpful kramer...is if you could give some insight into how you make your songs sound less harsh...or more listenable...or is this a genre that you don't typically listen to? Any ideas would be helpful...
So...you think the singer is not in key? and is off through the entire song?

I need to hear from the track rat and Sabbath!!!!!!! I need your help!!

A complete re-mix would be in order if I was mixing it.Everything is extremely harsh.Distorted guitars are NOT supposed to be harsh.Heavy does not mean harsh.I would start over on the mix and try and tame the guitars right off the bat.

I love every genre of music except candy ass country pop and rap.

I dont know what to suggest on the vocals other than the old auto-tune plugin.

Re: harsh

kormaniac said:
ok...so i assume when you say harsh....too much mid or treble in the guitars?
thanks again...

Yep,a whole lot of nasty highs.Just pull all the faders back down and start from gournd zero.I would start with just the drum and bass tracks with flat EQ's and get a decent rhythm section mixed and then gradually work the vocals in and then the guitars around the vocal.

The reason I say that is,it seems that you are mixing the guitar as the focal point right now and it's has become overbearing in the mix taking center stage over every other element of the tune.

A lot of people like to mix all the instruments before they even pull the fader up on the vocals and that works a lot of times, but if there is a problem like you are having with the harsh overbearing guitars in this tune I would suggest mixing the guitar last and adjusting it to fit the overall scheme of the song.All the elements of a song have to work together for a mix to work.

beat down the harsh

Okay...a good tactic to try Kramer...thanks.
I'll mix in the gits last and see how that flows.
I appreciate your time and comments.

OK. Here's what I think I hear. In a few spots the singer has some intonation problems but it's not like she's giving me an audio root canal. She's pretty good. Since I heard your first tune it's been driving me crazy, the tunes and th vocalist remind me of a band from the eally 70's and I just can't put my finger on it. The spot where the intonation is most evident is when she does the line at 1:25 and all the like subsequent lines. It's not horrible but everytime it comes by, I precieve it. If you have auto tune, I'd run those particular lines through it surgicly only. The guitar seems hot in the upper mids, hence the harsh sound comment I'd imagine. Sweep and EQ through the guitar 2-6KHz to find were it's peaked and maybe make an EQ cut. Just my opinion mind you.
The voice over sound bites.....eeehh. I don't know. The tune is pretty credible sounding and they kind of give a bit of hokyness that for me really detracts rather than adds. I can see that you might need them to a degree to clue the listener as to the theme of the song but personally I'd try to keep it at the VERY beginning. I'd try to be done with it by the time the drums come in so as not to step on the music.

Thanks Track

Great comments track...gonna do some work on it...I don't have any auto-tune plug in though...do you know of any good ones?

I was waiting patiently for your comments to appear! Thank you much.

Track Rat said:
OK. Here's what I think I hear. In a few spots the singer has some intonation problems but it's not like she's giving me an audio root canal.

oh my god.......i am gonna say this alot......holy shit that as funny:D ....not this song i dont mean that ....oh my god "audio root canal".....im sooooo stealing that.:D :D :D

jamal

P.S.
This mix has all the earmarks of someone who has fried ears.;)maybe your ears just need a little rest and then go back at it again.

shot ears

I think it might be more than me just getting ear fatigue...I think its just my ears...too much loud drumming awhile back...I'm going to have to figure out how to compensate for it....its gonna take me some practice...glad i got all your ears...lol

P.s.s.
The reason I mentioned a complete re-mix is because there are volume issues in this mix that EQ will not help.The guitar being the main problem eq and volume wise.

On 3rd listen the intonation of the vocal is not out through the entire song.Track rat nailed the most problematic vocal points in the song.

uh oh

you guys are going to completely kill me.
In regards to her vocals...well...i had re-recorded some of the guitar playing...and used her initial vocal tracks....I used a very different tone on the guitar...and its probably slightly different in other manners as well...I know...i know....a lesson learned...I'm a goof.
Will have new vocals tomorrow....she is gonna kill me in that I actually tried to do that...and then posted the song...
But hey...its all about learning right?
Thanks guys....I'll have an update soon....and would love to get your feedback.

yeah, there are some mix problems.. Luckily you have recieved all the tips I would have recommended..

The news clips at the beginning are extra crispy too, and they crackle.. I really like the song though..

Interesting stuff.. It's heavy, but not like 'Kitty.' It has a pretty unique style to it.. I'll look for the remix..

keep em' comin' maniac!

Back