New Song: "Tennessee Blues"

Knopfler Fan

I'm not sure what is the correct ettiquette in terms of posting same contents to more than one forum, but I thought I'd share my latest recording with my Fostex family as well.

The song is called "Tennessee Blues" written by Bobby Charles.

Once again, it's another country song in 3/4 time! It's funny how the classic country tunes are always in 3/4. I just hope I don't put anyone to sleep.

For this recording, I used my newly purchased condenser mic (APEX 430) and the ART Tube MP pre-amp. The pre-amp definitely made a big difference to the vocals compare to my first recording where the vocals were so faint.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy. :D

KF

http://www.nowhereradio.com/knopflerfan/singles

Knop,

Hey man great recording....very quiet and clear! My mr-8 will be here monday so im pumped, but i was just wondering exactly how you recorded your vocals? I have an ART tube mp and Marshall electronics condenser which seems to be the same as your APEX. I guess i was just wondering what you did as far as levels and effects.

thanks bro

b

Thank you kindly gents. The good thing about Knopfler's vocal style is that it is not too difficult to emulate. Afterall, Knopfler is not known for his vocals! I just wish I could play guitar like he does though.

With respect to recording the vocals, I used the APEX 430 condenser mic and the ART Tube MP pre-amp. I sang about 4 or 5 inches away from the mic with no pop screen. The input gain on the pre-amp was about 3:00 o'clock and the output was about the same. I didn't use the +20dB nor the reverse phase in the pre-amp-- just the "normal" mode.

Regarding the effects, I used the "tube mic" and the "Hall" effects. The node on track 1 (where the vocals were recorded) were at 11:00 o'clock and the mastering effects were at 10:00 o'clock.

For mastering, I used the Bright button.

Hope that helps. In any case, enjoy your new toy come Monday!!

KF

Great recording!!!
I love your choice of songs. Are you using a PC for any editing (mixing, mastering)? If so what software are you using? The preamp and mic sure made a difference on the vocals. How much do the mic and preamp cost? I have been using a Shure beta 58 dynamic mic and no external preamp and my vocals do not sound as full. I have access to a preamp on my Mackie mixer, but don't have a condenser mic. I think I'm gonna try the preamps on the mixer with the mic I have before I buy a condenser unless I can get a good condenser cheap.

Knopfler Fan,

Excellent song and recording. I really like the subtle layering of instruments that I have to pay attention and listen to, for example the organ sound weaving in and out in the background. The vocals are outstanding. Great job!

And thanks for listening to my song when I posted it some time ago.

DC

Oh man, that is lonesome sounding. The song literally "breathes", it has a pulse, it has life, man I am so amazed.
Other than Mr. Knopfler, what are your influences?
Like i said, that is one lonesome song.
Fantastic Job!

Country huh!

knopfler, Im a bit confused by your recent post .I have just listened to the two songs [Tennesee blues,Lonsomeon the river]and Im not sure they are country.They really cant be county ,because I don't much care for country music [not that theres anything wrong with that],but I liked both these recordings very much..They must be Blues..Very nice .Thanks for sharing...Earl D.

Hey Earl,

I assure you, the original recordings of those songs were considered "country".

I guess I bastardized the songs so badly that all the "country" flavour is gone! :eek:

Like Gospel once said, these songs really should be sung by someone with a Southern drawl, not someone with a Canadian accent!

I promise I'll move onto something different. No more country!

To Dyoub: Besides listening to Knopfler, I also enjoy Johnny Cash, Chet Atkins, J.J. Cale, among others... But my love is Mark Knopfler's music.

KF

Knopfler Fan said:

Like Gospel once said, these songs really should be sung by someone with a Southern drawl, not someone with a Canadian accent!

KF

I love your songs and your taste in music. This last recording with the different mic and preamp gave more presence to your voice. How much did the mic and preamp cost? (see my other post in this thread for some other questions). Come on down to Georgia and I'll teach you the southern drawl then when you sing a Hank song no one will question whether it is country or not.
Again, excellent recording, man.

:cool:

KF;

You sing em how you feel em, Bro. Again, you did an excellent job on this tune. You took this tune and made it your own and that's what it's all about. :)

CR ><>

Knopfler fan

Hey Knopfler fan,, I just want you to know that I was paying you a compliment..Putting a Bluesy feel to a country classic is a good thing.At least to me it is.Self expression is what I like to see.Earl

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen.

Okay, I think this thread should end. I hate dredging it back up to the top of the list.

Hey Gospel, please check your private message. Anyway, since I'm here, the mic cost $140CDN ($95US). The ART tube MP pre-amp cost $130 CDN ($87 US). I didn't use any mixing software. It's all MR-8.

KF

Back