New song review

Wow,
You have your head well into the genre.
It started rather suddenly.
Breaths of oxegene I guess. Very "cinematic" - straight up I though of scene like those in Gallipoli. Not that the melody was a rip - rather that scope.
The bass drum clicks a bit - probably the sample -!
Cheers
rayC

rayc said:
Wow,
You have your head well into the genre.
It started rather suddenly.
Breaths of oxegene I guess. Very "cinematic" - straight up I though of scene like those in Gallipoli. Not that the melody was a rip - rather that scope.
The bass drum clicks a bit - probably the sample -!
Cheers
rayC
rayc - Thanks much for taking time to listen. Let me know if you ever want me to return the favor. As far as the bass click, I'll give a listen. I am always trying to figure exactly what genre to put my music. I have always played in rock bands (since 1965), but when I sit and record, it seems I want to do more new wavish/pop instrumental stuff. But the rock always pokes through a little bit hence the rock type back beats in the music. I also wanted to get away from the ubiquitous, droning intro many electronica songs start with so that's why the sudden start. Thanks again for listening.

Very interesting tamky. Has a nice upbeat feel to it. Kick drum is a little boomy, for the rest of the music happening. Just my opinion on that, but everything else is pretty crisp, and clean. I think the kick seems to distract a bit from the bassline. Other than that, pretty cool tune.
Ed

Nice wide stereo sound. I like this a lot, reminds me of Jan Hammer.Steamroller stuff. As someone said, very soundtrack oriented. Nice timbres and colors. :cool:

Let me get this out of the way right off the bat - this whole thing has a "Radio Shack keyboard demo" vibe to it. What I mean is that everything sounds like midi to me.

I think the kick needs to come back, and the snare needs to come up a bit, especially during the second theme when the flute takes over and the drums switch to ride cymbal.

I think on the recurring "guitar" keyboard part (maybe percussive organ?), you need to really concentrate on making all the notes in the chord hit at the same time. The attack on that patch becomes very distracting if you don't hit it exactly. This is especially evident toward the beginning of the track, but it's still there through the whole thing.

On the subject of attack, the french horn patch sounds sort of muddy when in unison with the percussive keyboard/guitarish sound. Why? Because the percussive patch has a quicker attack, which makes the horn patch sound late. Maybe slide the horn part over by just a millisecond or two... that should clean it up... unless that 20th century electronic delay is what you're going for.

All in all, I really did like the tune. I think if you put it in front of live musicians, though, the song would really benefit. Good work.

Thanks one and all for taking the time to listen. I appreciate all the input.
I agree with all of it.

As far as some of the sounds being demo - sounding I am a victim of the equipment I work with and I've only got a Casio CTK-671 to work with. I will be updating soon (I hope), but until then....... Drums, bass, rhythm played by the Casio and all the rest added by me.
All the input will help me do better next time.

Well, the trick to recording is recording with what you got, and you used it really well. Seriously, it sounds fine. It's not a Kurzweill but you made music, good job. :)

I was diggin' on this untill around the 2 minute mark. Two minutes is enough,..I was ready for a change but it really never came. I know thats prolly a limitation of your gear,..but,..just the feel I got from the tune.
The whole Saigon imagery is pretty cool,...fits well with the music. If you could add some live instruments though,..this stuff would be killer. My opinion.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Back