New Song - Opinions Please

nice sound and cool song.

The acoustic at the beginning has some pretty big peaks and could use some compression just to smooth it out.

The vocals are a little pitchy and too much verb for me.

All of the instruments seem to be mixed (volume wise) pretty well with eachother.

The only part I really don't like at all is the highhats...they are a little harsh, not too much highs, but bad highs.

I pretty much agree with everything aaron said. I'll add some drum comments. I'm assuming those are real drums. Tune those toms better. They sound pretty bad. Also, do you only have one crash cymbal? It's a little monotonous having that one crash bash over and over. If you only have one, maybe look around for another for some variety. The snare is fat and flabby. It works for a song like this though, so not bad there. Still, tuning it up a little would be better in my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys.

Greg, I think you've pulled me up for my drum sound before. I'm realtively new to drumming (but I can't keep using that excuse forever) I think they're better than they used to be, but the toms are 'concert toms' I believe they're called, with no bottom head, and understand that it is difficult to get them to sound good. I have had a go at tuning before I recorded this, and it did improve things, but I think I still need to get my ear in.

I do have another crash and I normally do try to alternate but for some reason didn't on this track (I think every time I tried to lean over to hit it I nearly fell off my stool :D).

As regards the bad highs aaronmcoleman I'm using two akg cs1000s and when I tried to add some top end nothing seemed to make any difference above about 4Khz, so I'm wondering whether they've had their day. So to get some more top I had to just boost at 4Khz, which was not really where I wanted to boost. The vocal take was quite early after writting the lyrics and working on the melody, so it was a little under practised.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey toad, not got much to add other than what has already been said about the vocal maybe sounding a touch dryer. Sounds good other than that - Big Star/Replacements era feel going on.

Thanks Rob. I wasn't familiar with those bands so I checked out a couple of things on Youtube. Especially liked the Big Star stuff I heard. I do try to go for a late 60s early 70s feel on things. Thanks again.

Back