New song - new gear

valdemar

My upgrade from Behringer 2004/ISIS to Hammerfall/Mindprint DI-Port has now resulted in the recording of a new song in the same style as my previous posts; acoustic guitar, vocals and embellishments, here a Rhodes and a thump. ;)

I have also found a much better spot for micing my guitar (Guild D4), the problems I've had with boominess are now massively reduced. I've gone from the (normal) 6" from the 12th fret of the fingerboard to a point where the mic is almost in line with the fingerboard, angled 45 degrees towards the upper side of the neck joint at a distance of 7".

here is "You still know":

Regards,
/Henrik

Cool song!

I really enjoyed listening to that....but there is something about the ending. I am having a hard time explaining it, but it doesn't sound right. When you solo the acoustic the song loses a lot of its feel, at least in my opinion.

Again, great job!

nice enough guitar sound. I can't deal with the thump... When the rhodes comes in, the vocals seem to go up a notch too...sounds good there. Watch the intonation on Girrrrllll (hey there little girllllll). I really like that pno. sounds nice and filling. Some good harmonies too. I think when the thumping ends, so should the song too...and you can hear some noise (like something hitting the gtr face??) right at the end too....Picky...but I heard it:D

Hello...

Great song, and a MUCH improved sound.. Wonderful vox at 1.09-1.12.

There's one problem in my monitors tho.. a constant peaking around 250Hz (very visible in a Freq-analyser) makes it boomy.. I cut the 170 and 310 bands in Winamp, and it got a bit better, but it also made the vox sound thin...

Also.. something happens at 1.50... sounds weird.. digital distortion?

Anyways. It's a very nice song. Looking forward to hear more.

Thanks for the kind words!

The song was recorded and mixed yesterday and I had a lot of thoughts of what to do with the ending. I decided to go with a kind of 'deconstructed' ending based on my disliking of fading a song.

mixmkr: The girrll intonation was a big problem for me, it's probably as low as I would ever want to record my voice. I actually wanted to record the guitar with a capo on the second fret but I just felt an urge to get the song recorded and I don't own one!

Meshuggah: I'm really not sure what the big improvement in sound is, the preamps, converters or the micing technique, a combination I guess. This micing technique worked much better for a strummed guitar though. Thanks for the vocal compliment. The boominess around 250 Hz is kind of a suprise to me, what are your monitors? Is it the guitar or the Rhodes? I haven't checked the sound at 1:50 in Cubase but I think it's fret noise from the guitar, it sounds pretty strange...

Regards,
/Henrik

Henrik -

I agree with all the other comments. Great song for a quiet Friday night. I'm wondering if the annunciation and vocals might match better if you bring it up a key -- to make it more airy and thus match the guitar sound. Thanks for the listen!

G:)

Thanks gmiller1122, I confess to not knowing what annunciation means. I see the similarities with pronounciation but I'll look it up when I find a dictionary. ;)

Regards,
/Henrik

Real nice. I like the sound. I listened to it with headphones, so I didn't experience too much thumping. Just the right amount for me, anyway. Nice clear acoustic sounds you've got there. Really impressed. Sounds like a real song you could hear on radio, actually. I hope that's a compliment :)

Back