New song. Mix comments???

matttheaxe

OK. I think I did rather well on this, but with the mixing geeks on HR, I'm sure I can get some quality comments on where I can improve.

Best place to hear it is here...

http://www.garageband.com/artist/thunderharp

Click the green arrow next to the track "All about the money"

You'll have to allow pop ups from the site, as the player is a pop up.

It sounds pretty tight mate. Nice work.
The bass annoys me for some reason - perhaps too forward.. perhaps to much treble. Just.. sticks out. Maybe it's intended. See what others think.

Reminds me of Joe Walsh/Eagles.

Yeah I think the bass is a little prominent. Everything else sits pretty well

Reminds me of Lenny Kravitz.

Very good song and arrangement. Sounds like it may have been fairly well recorded and instruments are well balanced but they all SOUND wrong. Maybe they all have too much treble. But they ALL sound wrong. It's very strange because everything else is so well put together.

When I first started listening to the track, I had to turn down the volume because it was so high pitched and harsh. Before I suggest that you take some treble off a few instruments, is there a problem with your mixing setup? Some poor quality or slightly broken piece of kit that is causing you to put too much treble on everything?

Ah...
the treble.
It does get a bit harsh in laptop and small speakers. In a car stereo and/or home stereo it seems fine.
The bass...Instrument issue. The e & a strings are fine. When I hit the others, they have a trebly tone. I hate it. If I back it off the low strings sound muddy. Might be time for another bass.

Thanks, guys!

Really nice mix. Very clear with great separation of instruments. The guitars take me back to the late 60's early 70's sound, which is awesome. I hear a little James Gang (so yeah, Joe Walsh) or J. Geils Band type of sound, which I used to listen to all the time growing up. Great job!

Yeah, this has a real "Life's Been Good" Joe Walsh vibe... a great song & arrangement - but I've got to agree with the above posts - Its not that it sounds bad, in fact its a great mix - its just not appropriate...It seems very "shiney" - could be too much top end - the drums have a real sheen to them, particularly the snare. I'd suggest messing things up a little with some "dirty" plugins - Stillwell Audio's Badbussmojo is awesome for dirtying up drums. Bootsy's Tesla can give you some "transformery" graininess on vocals & guitars... Go to town - you've got a great song with a great feel.

Not my cup of tea, prefer metal (lol), but the songs sound great. Love the clarity of the songs. great job.

Back