New song, looking for some feedback

FadeToMuffins

Hey guys, this is mainly finished, except for the vocals. Any feedback on the music or production is much appreciated! Thanks a ton!

I think overall it sounds pretty good. The guitar tone is absolutely bone crushing and I love it. The drums sound too "roomy". It's hard to explain, but overall I think they just don't sound punchy and in my face enough. The high hats don't quite sound crispy enough for me either. Still though it's good imo. Nice job.

I definitely understand the roomy comment. I turned the room and overhead mics up a bit too much I think in the mix. I will try and fix this. Thanks for the comment!

Sounds great. Good skills to get the big sound but keep it clear and defined. Some of the licks are a bit swamped...I don't know if you want them to be that way. Heavy stuff...successful effort. How's you do the heavy guitar? How'd you do the drums?

That is very good. I like how you switch from distorted to clean guitar sounds.
musik36.gif

Sounds great. Good skills to get the big sound but keep it clear and defined. Some of the licks are a bit swamped...I don't know if you want them to be that way. Heavy stuff...successful effort. How's you do the heavy guitar? How'd you do the drums?

To be completely honest, I can't take too much credit for production here. All the guitar tones came from my Line6 Toneport, and the drums were done with EZ drummer. Granted, I composed everything, but still, the tone quality from this thing was awesome after I spent a little time fooling around with it and finding out what sounded good.

As for the drums, I write the drum track out as a midi track using this awesome guitarpro clone called Tabit, and then I just export the midi file of the drums, and feed it into EZ drummer.

Again, thanks for all the comments guys, I'm glad you guys like it.

Hey guys, so I finished some of the vocals (up to the first chorus) and my ears are fried. What do you guys think? Any good? Any comments are much appreciated.

Hey guys, so I finished some of the vocals (up to the first chorus) and my ears are fried. What do you guys think? Any good? Any comments are much appreciated.

At first the vocals seem way to close!!!:eek: with too much bass EQ on the vox track than at the middle of the verse, vocals were wayyyyy too far, couldn't hear anything!:eek: They diffidently need some re-recording or better mix down!
Hope that helps, it's going to be a good song though when completed!:D

As for the drums, I write the drum track out as a midi track using this awesome guitarpro clone called Tabit, and then I just export the midi file of the drums, and feed it into EZ drummer.

That sounds interesting...so this Tabit thing...what, you type in by hand drum hits? You type them in as numbers somehow? How do you audition/ listen to what you're programming?

That sounds interesting...so this Tabit thing...what, you type in by hand drum hits? You type them in as numbers somehow? How do you audition/ listen to what you're programming?

You can play back the drum track as a midi whenever you want to listen to how it sounds. Of course, it sounds sort of fake and computerized but you can get a general idea of what you have.

Great song, but the vocals.

I really like the song up until the vocals come in. They kind of just sit there dry and flat in front of the arrangement. It doesn't sound like they are in the same room with the band (okay, virtual band) especially at the beginning. I am really a newbie at this, but I would be looking for some effects (reverb, delay) that would help the vocals sound like they are in the same space with the instruments. The eq on the vocals sounds bassy and lacks presences, and in the beginning the vocals just sound too loud. You might even need a different mic or need to back off the mic a bit when recording. Those are my two cents, and really I'm not sure they are worth much more than that.

Again, great song! Keep working on the vocals until they fit.

OK guys, thanks for all the helpful feedback. I've taken it into account on the new version. The whole song still isn't done because Im still just trying to perfect my technique and everything, but please give it a listen and let me know. The same link still works. (the newSong2.mp3 one) Thanks guys!

Sounding good

I like what you've done with it. I can only listen on my headphones right now, but it sounds good.

cool song...the drummer is freakin' awesome! :p ( I use EZ Drummer as well) I like the vox... on my computer speakers they sound like you can take out some of the mids and maybe add some highs, but it just may be my speakers. Overall I think the song sounds great.

cool song...the drummer is freakin' awesome! :p ( I use EZ Drummer as well) I like the vox... on my computer speakers they sound like you can take out some of the mids and maybe add some highs, but it just may be my speakers. Overall I think the song sounds great.

Thanks for the feedback! I recorded the vocals wearing headphones, so its quite probable that they don't sound just right.

Back