New Song, getting better?

zero00

Hi to all, i just uploaded this brand new song called "The Same Old Story", i was wondering if you like the mix.

I think it's like a Brit pop sound, but i wasn't thinking about getting that... anyway i like the outcome, so i need your help about the mix which is always a headache.

Don't hold back please. ;)

www.myspace.com/virtualbandonline

I listened to it twice, it's a nice song. My comments:

- drums are a bit buried, especially the kick
- there's an all around muddiness but maybe that's the Myspace player. Still, I think the bottom end could be cleaned up a bit with EQ
- very related to the previous point, I wanted the vocals to be sitting better in the mix with more clarity. Are you using a LDC to capture vox?

Good luck
Matt

Hi, thanks... i uploaded a new version... i think the kick problem is solve. The muddiness is still an issue. I also added a compression and little delay for the melodic guitar at 00:40 and 1:46.

Edited: I used a SM 57 and a Firewire 410 for vocals and guitars. I had an AT2020 but i sold it cause it's very similar to the SM57, not an add for my equipment. Hope to buy a good one in a couple of months.

Is it better?

thanks

Last edited:
Nice tones and mix! Unique sound. I agree that the vocals don't seem too forward.

There are a couple of drums fills that seem a little too loose. Looking forward to part II!

I listened again, that might be a bit of an improvement on the kick but (at least on my setup) I'm still losing it on the chorus. Also, I think there might be a bit too much sizzle on the cymbals.

Hey, I know from first hand experience that capturing a good drum sound can be a bitch, especially with limited resources... so don't take anything personally. :)

Nothing wrong with using a 57 for vox, but as I'm sure you're aware, even an entry-level LDC can really help you capture a crisp/bright vocal without the need for post-processing trickery.

Good luck
Matt

Not a bad song but for some reason the vocals on this song just don't grab me. The other songs were better vocally I think.

I like the T Petty feel to it.

My opinion is that the vocal is fine, and not the missing
key' you might be searching for to get the thing tripping ahead with momentum and more fire:

Anticipations.

I listened, and noted that, with one exception.... in the bass guitar, late in the tune....almost every measure starts with every instrument playing the first note or rhythm on 'one' of every measure. It causes a 'plodding' effect, overall, I think. With the kick and crashes, particularly, playing the 'and' of 'four'...in some loose pattern, with the bass or guitar, about 33% of the time, and increasing in frequency as the story unfolds....the effect would be to mesh some gears with the stuff playing on 'one'.....and lend momentum to the whole deal. Anticipations are a real important device for imparting flow and continuity, I think. It's a good tune, but the plane doesn't lift from the runway...and I think it's the lack of anticipations tieing it down. MHO

Oh yeah...I'd like to hear what happens with R$L guitars brought down several db's...overwhelming...and drawn a bit closer to, say, 50 to 70% of ctr..... I can't get the groove of the reast of the band....ears distracted outward...and if there's any wall reflections from applied verb, lending virtual space the the ctr stuff, I can't hear them.

I listened again, that might be a bit of an improvement on the kick but (at least on my setup) I'm still losing it on the chorus. Also, I think there might be a bit too much sizzle on the cymbals.

Hey, I know from first hand experience that capturing a good drum sound can be a bitch, especially with limited resources... so don't take anything personally. :)

Nothing wrong with using a 57 for vox, but as I'm sure you're aware, even an entry-level LDC can really help you capture a crisp/bright vocal without the need for post-processing trickery.

Good luck
Matt

Thanks again... that's weird i can hear it perfectly... mmm, i'll check it later, i hear it, but not like "wow, there's the kick" hahaha.
You know, about the mic, i really can't tell the difference between the AT2020 and the SM57, i'm sure that with another with a little more quality will see a difference, and don't worry, i'm going to get a good LDC.

Not a bad song but for some reason the vocals on this song just don't grab me. The other songs were better vocally I think.

Glup, maybe it's my terrible performance, soon i'll add the real vocals with a real singer. Thanks :o

I like the T Petty feel to it.

My opinion is that the vocal is fine, and not the missing
key' you might be searching for to get the thing tripping ahead with momentum and more fire:

Anticipations.

I listened, and noted that, with one exception.... in the bass guitar, late in the tune....almost every measure starts with every instrument playing the first note or rhythm on 'one' of every measure. It causes a 'plodding' effect, overall, I think. With the kick and crashes, particularly, playing the 'and' of 'four'...in some loose pattern, with the bass or guitar, about 33% of the time, and increasing in frequency as the story unfolds....the effect would be to mesh some gears with the stuff playing on 'one'.....and lend momentum to the whole deal. Anticipations are a real important device for imparting flow and continuity, I think. It's a good tune, but the plane doesn't lift from the runway...and I think it's the lack of anticipations tieing it down. MHO

Oh yeah...I'd like to hear what happens with R$L guitars brought down several db's...overwhelming...and drawn a bit closer to, say, 50 to 70% of ctr..... I can't get the groove of the reast of the band....ears distracted outward...and if there's any wall reflections from applied verb, lending virtual space the the ctr stuff, I can't hear them.

Well, i just uploaded with the vocals and guitars a little, you were right about that, but i think that the Anticipation you're explaining it will be awesome but for another kind of song, on this one i tried to make the vocals the most important "instrument" and then get pretty harmonies. The guitars on this version are 70% to Center but a little up.

Back