New song from Lykwyd Chykyn -rough mix, please check

lykwydchykyn

I'm looking for some opinions on this mix of this song. Yeah the vocals are a bit rough, that's a given with me.

Anyway, let me know...

Thanks!

See, this is a toss up with the vocals. It sounds a little dry, as in it needs some more reverb. But then again it sounds a little more upfront... which could be what you are going for. Its unique. But I'd still recommend trying more reverb on the vox. As for the guitar, it sounds as if you just di'd right in, I'd recommend mic'ing an amp if you have one. I think the drums are a little too up front in the mix. They are in front of everything. Push them completely deeper into mix. Especially the kick, it doesnt sound right with that bass guitar sitting way in the back. But still, this is a cool song for sure, just work on the levels a little and you have something pretty cool. The vocals are flat on a few notes, but the vocal pattern makes up for it. Like you said a little rough.. but dont worry its pretty cool. And when you throw some reverb on those vocals, it will make it a little less noticeable. At 4:19 bring the guitar down too, if it was a little more ambient, and spacial it would finish the song off very nicely.Cool though, good work man, I enjoyed the song.(hopefully my critique wasnt offensive, im not good with ensuring my words arent taken out of context over the internet)

NOW I get it!

wow, lykwydchykyn - I always wondered what your name meant - lykwyd chykyn!! the space makes all the difference :)

nice track. I didn't see anything wrong with the vocal delivery - maybe you could sing "over" the note more as at the moment it songs like you're straining for the high notes (but maybe that's the effect you're going for?).

I'm not really qualified to comment on the production, given the quality of my tracks, but I thought the song was great - really dynamic and a lot of great tempo changes. Maybe those keyboards near the end could come down a bit - they make it sound a bit 80s cheesey (although again maybe that's what you want?)

however, it's a great song - I really like that line early on in the song "you're counting sheep, trying to wake up". It's also great when those drums kick in for the second verse.

good work mate- keep it up :)

I didn't get a chance to listen to the recording yet but I love the name! :D

*Doing beavis mosh*

"Lykwdy Chykn!!!"

Low Viscosity Poultry :).....

I think packrat made some helpful points. That guitar sound on the opening parts is just not convincing, and the drums are definitely too upfront - they make the whole mix sound disjointed somehow.

I think you've really got something with your voice, although for some reason it gets weaker after about 3:00 or so. Earlier on you managed to put me in mind of Neil Diamond at one point and then during a loud bit I was reminded of Pink Floyd!! Anyway, cool overall and I do like your singing ;)

Wow! these are great critiques guys. I'm going to copy them down and paste them into my todo list; seriously.

As for the high notes, I *am* straining for them, pretty badly in fact. I have a bad habit of writing something and then after I get halfway into it changing it around so that I'm not really qualified to sing or play it. I did what I could to cover for it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, packrat, when you key in on the reverb. I'm having trouble working out the ambience for this track; I want it to sound big but not washy.

Thanks again guys! I'll work on it some more....

Very cool song with a refreshingly original feel to it. I thought the singing was great, but that snare drum really tried to kick me in the face. It's a good sound, I just thought it was a bit loud in the mix.

Back