New song: EVERYTHING CHANGES

Strat1958

Late-blooming songwriter!
Wrote a song about the inevitablity of change. Was going for a swampy blues-rock sort of sound.

Appreciate any listens.

-Mike

EVERYTHING CHANGES c. 2010 Mike Pilling

See the leaves
Falling off the tree
Aint the same as it
Used to be
Skies were sunny
Now it looks like rain
Traffic gridlock
Shoulda took the train

Everything changes
Rearranges
Turn the pages
Yeah, yeah
Everything changes
Rearranges
Turn the pages
You got to take the change

Which one’s better
Bald or grey?
That wrinkle was not
There yesterday
The good old music
Dead and gone
Like Frank Sinatra
Or Elton John

Everything changes
Rearranges
Turn the pages
Everything changes
Rearranges
Turn the pages
You got to love the change

Kids in high school
Don’t try to Spell
Except WTF, and LOL
Work here today
But not tomorrow
Opportunity's got no time for sorrow

Everything changes
Rearranges
Turn the pages
Everything changes
Rearranges
Turn the pages
You got to love, got to love the change

This is a true song. I like it. The drums work, but they sound very fake. (I guess that's because they are) Excellent job.

I think the song is mixed well. I agree that the drums sound fake but hey... I used fake drums too. I think the levels were good, but the bass may be a tad high (and Im listening on my IEMs which are usually light on the bass). I also think the mix would sound cleaner with a little less reverb on the the vox and drums, you can really hear the reverb tail on the snare. Thats just my $.02, and keep in mind I sit squarely in the "if you can hear the reverb, its too much" camp. I just like it to give a sense of space.

Overall, nice mix.

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Yep the drums are fake all right (well, real drum loops but not me playing). Though I can play drums, I'd never get away with it in a small apartment!

-Mike

Not bad. The song is very monotonous and doesn't seem to ever change. Some kind of break in there would serve it well. The drums sound very one dimensional and only occupy a tiny little sliver of the stereo field. They have no bigness. The vocals sound good, but they lack a little shine. I suspect it's the reverb. Ditch the reverb and go for a clean, minor slapback delay. I think delay always sounds better than reverb on vocals.

There isn't any real crack in the snare, can barley hear the kick. The drums could use something to pump them up a little. The bass guitar is a little too loud. You got Vocals right in front, the bass right behind the vocals and everything else in the back.

The vocals could use less reverb and take a little of the low - low mid out of them. Just a little.

Good thing is you can hear everything clearly. It's just everything could sit together a lot tighter with a little more work...

Awesome feedback, thanks Phil and Greg. Actually I have no reverb at all on the voice, just some delay.

I will remix with your suggestions and see how it, uh....pans out.

Back