New song "Echoes" Need mixing advice!!!

Terra

Scholarly Gentleman
Hey all,

This ATTACHED track is an original r&b track composed by myself (Abterra) and Lydell Williams called "Echoes".

It's the first time I'm mixing a lot of vocals and vocal comps so I want your advice in the following areas:

1.) How do the vocals sound? Are they clear enough, sitting well in the mix?
2.) What about the reverb and delays on the vocals? Too much? is the reverb eating up some space?
3.) How does the track sound? i.e. elements: hi hats, kick, snare...etc.

These are my key areas of focus, so I want to make sure it sounds good. The client is going for a professional, polished sound, but he does love the "dirt" in the sample (sampled from vinyl).

Any other comments would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance guys!!

Tyler

Attachments

• Echoes (Semi-FInal).mp3
    5.8 MB · Views: 37
The stutter in the beat really throws me off, but I adjusted as it went on. I think you did a really good job with this myself. As to your questions:

1) They sound excellent. Yes and Yes.
2) The reverb sounds just right. I think the delay could come down just a little though.
3) Track sounds polished indeed. I would think the client would be happy.

Just my thoughts. Thanks.

The stutter in the beat really throws me off, but I adjusted as it went on. I think you did a really good job with this myself. As to your questions:

Thanks for the reply, MUCH appreciated. Can you help me with the term stutter? Point out at which time it comes in? Thanks!

I'm sorry, I don't want to misguide you. Maybe that isn't the right term to use here.

I'm referring to the beat as a whole. I suspect it is intentional. It is the kick I think throughout. It has this little rapid-fire heartbeat-like cadence that is odd to me, that's all.

You should see if anyone else notes it - probably a purely subjective thing. Your production abilities appear to be far beyond what I am capable of, so take it with a grain...

I'm sorry, I don't want to misguide you. Maybe that isn't the right term to use here.

I'm referring to the beat as a whole. I suspect it is intentional. It is the kick I think throughout. It has this little rapid-fire heartbeat-like cadence that is odd to me, that's all.

You should see if anyone else notes it - probably a purely subjective thing. Your production abilities appear to be far beyond what I am capable of, so take it with a grain...

No worries, I appreciate it! Thanks for the honesty heat!

If you guys could take the time and download the file, It would be much appreciated! I'm really looking for some serious mixing advice for this song. I understand its a pain in the ass to download, but I really don't want to upload the song to a website because it's not finished.

Thanks!

I think what heatmiser is referring to in the groove has to do w/the combination of simple and compound time. Some elements of the groove are very straight (1+2+3+4+) while other elements are 12/8-ish ("swung"). The end result is a bit odd, and doesn't allow for a really "Deep pocket". These elements could be manipulated to work better w/one another by using something like "Beat Detective".

It sounds all crazy to me - it's like unsettling and doesn't seem like it ever kicks into a rhythm. Like its starting over again and again. Mix sounds ok it's the drum track that sounds a little weird.

It sounds all crazy to me - it's like unsettling and doesn't seem like it ever kicks into a rhythm. Like its starting over again and again. Mix sounds ok it's the drum track that sounds a little weird.

Thanks for the honesty...i def know what you mean, and will be working on getting out some of the double kick hits that throw off the groove. I really appreciate the constructive criticism guys thanks...keep it coming

Great Start

IMO, the fundamental levels are there, great start. It is just missing the sheen, the openness required to give it a 'polished sound'. I am not referring to mastering sheen, but vocally and with a few of the instruments. Vocally the tone is very good and upfront though lacking 'presence'. Interesting that it is both upfront and without presence. The vocals feel a bit 'heavy' for the track. Heavy does not mean too loud, they actully need to come up in several places but they need to be 'lightened up'. I suggest a mid dip 3-4 db with a really narrow Q. What frequenciy I cannot say but you can sweep to find it. I think you will find a tone that rises slightly 'above' the track and does not sit so deep 'in' the track. Sounds great. best with it.

Much respect and many blessings,

Bonafide

IMO, the fundamental levels are there, great start. It is just missing the sheen, the openness required to give it a 'polished sound'. I am not referring to mastering sheen, but vocally and with a few of the instruments. Vocally the tone is very good and upfront though lacking 'presence'. Interesting that it is both upfront and without presence. The vocals feel a bit 'heavy' for the track. Heavy does not mean too loud, they actully need to come up in several places but they need to be 'lightened up'. I suggest a mid dip 3-4 db with a really narrow Q. What frequenciy I cannot say but you can sweep to find it. I think you will find a tone that rises slightly 'above' the track and does not sit so deep 'in' the track. Sounds great. best with it.

Much respect and many blessings,

Bonafide

Wow, thanks Bonafide! I appreciate you taking a listen to the track and thanks for the advice!

The song writing needs a lot of work. Everything else is as good as it's going to get hahahaha

the beat is odd at first...I like it, it trips over itself a little...are you using an MPC swing on it? its got that feel

Im on my ipad and phones so I dont want to comment on the mix...this sounds as good as anything else Im listening too, the levels seems good to me, everything else is solid, the vocals are great

just wanted to say great job Terra, one of the nicest tunes Ive heard in heard in here

I'm noticing some pitch/delivery issues. The word "well" at :56 The last syllable of "ability" at 1:15. Just a couple of examples. There are more.

Lot's of crackles, which I assume are intentional. It gets tiring after a little while.

I liked the guitar solo near the end.

But the song never seems to go anywhere. Just the same couple of musical phrases over and over.

the beat is odd at first...I like it, it trips over itself a little...are you using an MPC swing on it? its got that feel

Im on my ipad and phones so I dont want to comment on the mix...this sounds as good as anything else Im listening too, the levels seems good to me, everything else is solid, the vocals are great

just wanted to say great job Terra, one of the nicest tunes Ive heard in heard in here

Thanks, KC, means a lot man! I made it with maschine and with a record I sampled from my jazz collection, I swung the beat pretty hard and I just wanted to do something different with the drums

I'm noticing some pitch/delivery issues. The word "well" at :56 The last syllable of "ability" at 1:15. Just a couple of examples. There are more.

Lot's of crackles, which I assume are intentional. It gets tiring after a little while.

I liked the guitar solo near the end.

But the song never seems to go anywhere. Just the same couple of musical phrases over and over.

Thanks for the input, we were going after something minimalistic and intimate, not trying to write the world's greatest song. I wanted to really emphasize the singer and have the song something you can get lost in.

I really appreciate you taking a listen, Triple, means a lot. Thanks for the advice on the pitch issues, and thanks for the compliment on my guitar playing :)

I have to agree with the others who said that the beat doesn't settle in. It definitely always feels as if it's starting over and over again. However, I appreciate what you're going for. The vocals, are good though. I think they sound and sit nicely and don't sound over-processed and I get a vintage vibe from them, which is nice. As a listener, I hoped for more dynamics and movement with the arrangement. I felt it became repetitive quickly. I'm not sure if you're still at the stage where you can play with the arrangement, so this point may be moot. The guitar work, was nice as well. Nice mellow n' fat tone.

Cheers!

I have to agree with the others who said that the beat doesn't settle in. It definitely always feels as if it's starting over and over again. However, I appreciate what you're going for. The vocals, are good though. I think they sound and sit nicely and don't sound over-processed and I get a vintage vibe from them, which is nice. As a listener, I hoped for more dynamics and movement with the arrangement. I felt it became repetitive quickly. I'm not sure if you're still at the stage where you can play with the arrangement, so this point may be moot. The guitar work, was nice as well. Nice mellow n' fat tone.

Cheers!

Thanks shiny, I appreciate you taking a listen. Wow so this arrangement is really bugging you guys...I will definitely try and create some variety in the arrangement, I can appreciate where everyone is coming from...time to dig through the crates again and find the record! :)

The guy that said "stutter", I get what he means. But nah don't worry about it, it's all on time, so it doesn't matter. Im used to those beats that feel off beat.
Anyways, I like it. I like it alot actually. If it was me, I would just a BIT, ( NOTICE THE WORD BIT ) make either the clap a BIT ( again notice BIT ) make it either less louder, or make it so its not as harsh. I just feel like its a bit to punchy.
Great job.

Back