New Song: Dirt

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
Haven't posted anything in a while, been playing a lot but just recording rehearsals and haven't been doing much mixing. This is a song we been working on and I finally took it and did some mixing. It's a little different from my usual stuff.

hit me

:rolleyes:

Hi Wes,
I like your style.
Vocals could come up,
seems the base might be a bit loud.
That's a pretty cool song. (I'd do the "thumb's up" thing, but, well, you know, we don't have one.)

Curious, what's the synth?
It sounds like a flying saucer.

Pretty cool vibe - the bass rushes some of the runs & needs a little more rehearsal to get the groove.
Ditto for some of the vox. This needs to be in the pocket to make the most of it,

Hi Wes,
I like your style.
Vocals could come up,
seems the base might be a bit loud.
That's a pretty cool song. (I'd do the "thumb's up" thing, but, well, you know, we don't have one.)

Curious, what's the synth?
It sounds like a flying saucer.

Thanks TS - Not sure what the synth is - it's a sample in a library that came on a HDD I bought for my ASR-10

Pretty cool vibe - the bass rushes some of the runs & needs a little more rehearsal to get the groove.
Ditto for some of the vox. This needs to be in the pocket to make the most of it,

Thanks Ray - yeah this is just a recording from band practice, but I wanted to mess with it a bit to get an idea for the mix. There is a lot of sloppy performance in there. This is all scratch track. I think we are going to actually start seriously recording this song next week.

Wanted to get some feedback before we went back and started really tightening everything up.

So if there is anything major that needs to be changed, we can address it before we start doing final studio tracks.

Thanks all for the feedback!

And Happy Fathers day to all you Mofo's ;)

Very Butthole Surferish. It's like Primus without the technical wizardry. I like your more garage-rock sounding stuff better, but this is okay.

The mix is a mess. Way, way too much bass gtr. I get that it drives the song, but it's way too out front. Can't really hear the vocals, and the rhythm guitars get lost. Get the timing and kinks worked out before recording it for real.

So are you looking for critiques on the mix or arrangement (or both) then?

If it's the mix, then yeah. Do something with the bass. It might be ok at it's current level, but it's too dry. It doesn't sit with the rest of the band so much as stand awkwardly out front.
I'm ok with the vocals where they are. Seems OK for stoner rock.

What's with the weird bass echos around 2:40? it sounds like when the main bass stops there's an almost in audible echo of the main riff.

If you're looking for arrangement advice, I've got nothing.

That was just to tick off Sam :D

Yeah way different Wes - I like where this could go.

Thanks dude.

Very Butthole Surferish. It's like Primus without the technical wizardry. I like your more garage-rock sounding stuff better, but this is okay.

The mix is a mess. Way, way too much bass gtr. I get that it drives the song, but it's way too out front. Can't really hear the vocals, and the rhythm guitars get lost. Get the timing and kinks worked out before recording it for real.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm a longtime Butthole Surfer fan. I agree - need to pull the bass back in the final mix. That should help define the guitars some too. This is all scratch - might be able to keep the drum track but will probably re-record the whole thing - I wanted to get the scratch mix up here so I could get some feedback on overall tone/performance etc. so when we record the final tracks I have the best source material to work with. I want to get the bass a little more punchy with the notes not sliding together so much on the beginning of the bass line.

So are you looking for critiques on the mix or arrangement (or both) then?
If it's the mix, then yeah. Do something with the bass. It might be ok at it's current level, but it's too dry. It doesn't sit with the rest of the band so much as stand awkwardly out front. I'm ok with the vocals where they are. Seems OK for stoner rock.
What's with the weird bass echos around 2:40? it sounds like when the main bass stops there's an almost in audible echo of the main riff.
If you're looking for arrangement advice, I've got nothing.

Thanks Steve, too dry bass - like maybe add a little more high-end in the tone? brighten it up? I think that's what it needs (and I think that's what you mean) more presence. The bass echos are probably real low guitar echos I have running on another track, I will probably back off on that in the final production - I was getting a little crazy with it. Stoner Rock!! lmao - that's exactly what it is, I couldn't think of how to describe it... stoner rock is what it is for sure. :)

Thanks everyone - hopefully will have a good final product next week.

(Apparently I have repped all of you too much cause I can't give anybody any more rep :p)

Hey Wes, cool sounding tune. Definitely sounds like a practice recording.

You should definitely post an update after you retrack... not because this version is unlistenable or anything, it's just cool to watch things progress... So do you guys have a bassist now?

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure exactly what I mean by too dry, but something to reduce the definition would help. Maybe a little distortion or reverb.

Cool song. I liked the style, and it's a cool bass riff. I thought the vocals were excellent. Sounded good and it was a real good performance.

Little pop at :11.

It gets a little messy when things kick in at :48.

Some timing and tempo issues around 1:30 to 1:40.

Hey Wes, cool sounding tune. Definitely sounds like a practice recording.
You should definitely post an update after you retrack... not because this version is unlistenable or anything, it's just cool to watch things progress... So do you guys have a bassist now?

Thanks dude - yeah we found a bassist on CL - I think we did that recording on his 4th or 5th time playing with us. So hes working out great. I wrote that song almost a year ago but was waiting for a bass player to develop it as the Looper bass line just wasn't cutting it :) We are going to start recording final tracks Tuesday - man its so much better playing with a bass player in addition to a drummer - gives me some breathing room to try out new things in the song while the bass holds it together.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure exactly what I mean by too dry, but something to reduce the definition would help. Maybe a little distortion or reverb.
Thanks VHS - I think that's the ticket. The bass is all bass and no mids, I think adding a little gain in there will help bring up the attack on the notes and make the bass line pop more without having to be so loud at the same time.

Cool song. I liked the style, and it's a cool bass riff. I thought the vocals were excellent. Sounded good and it was a real good performance.
Little pop at :11.
It gets a little messy when things kick in at :48.
Some timing and tempo issues around 1:30 to 1:40.

Thanks 3M :) I been going to a vocal coach, I think it's helping.

I will post the new tracks once we get them together, hopefully before the end of next week.

Thanks all for the feedback and advice!

What everyone else said. :) Bass is like 15db too loud. Timing is a bit off in lots of places.. But I like the potential. Re-record it and let us hear the result. Personally, I'd love to hear it. Good stuff, man!

cool song, nice groove.

I like the roominess or the lots of OH you have on the drums or whatever. They sound cool to me...not perfect, but very cool. I'd like to hear a little more low end in the kick and snap in the snare. But whatever, they're cool and work on this song.

Bass way too loud (but I think you already know that)

Guitars are kinda buried but I think that's because of the bass. The tones are almost there. I might work on the guitar tone a little bit...I can't really give suggestions because that's sorta personal and up what you want for the song. The lead tone is a little harsh and fatiguing.

Vocals sound very cool. I like the tone and the voice and all that. They could stand to come up a little. I even like the distance or reverb on them, and is there some distortion on a couple parts? If there is it sounds cool, if not, it would sound cool!

I thought it was a very cool tune. Loved the chorus vocals/instrumental. Not gonna comment too much on the mix since it's pretty much been said already to this point.

thanks PI, AC and BB for the comments - hope this new version fixes the issues described above.

OK, I retracked the bass and some of the guitar parts, added some more vocal parts, and remixed the whole thing. Also cut out about a minute to tighten the arrangement up.

It's changed quite a bit I hope the new version is getting better not worse :)

I think I may prefer the first mix, actually. The timing is still pretty sloppy in places, but now it sounds more like a sloppy studio performance instead of a recorded practice session.

I like the changes that you made, but it really needs tight timing I think.

Back