new song - desperate for critique

hey i have a new song on soundclick, it's called 13 and i think i have some issues with the accoustic guitar, a certain boominess i can't seem to get rid of.

:confused: :confused:

anyone?

Sounds like it would make a cool part to a song. I don't really hear any boomyness actually. Could just be the speakers I'm using...

Sounds fine here.

weird! on my 20/20's there is just a hint of it but when i play it on the system i use for hifi reference half my drum kit starts rattling on certain notes!!!

anyway,thanks for the input guys!

faderbug said:
weird! on my 20/20's there is just a hint of it but when i play it on the system i use for hifi reference half my drum kit starts rattling on certain notes!!!

anyway,thanks for the input guys!

It sounds like room resonance from where you recorded that guitar. You may have no choice but to use a good multi-band compressor and try to isolate the frequency range it is occuring in. EQ will probably not help because the offending frequency is louder when it hits resonance.

MCI2424 said:
It sounds like room resonance from where you recorded that guitar. You may have no choice but to use a good multi-band compressor and try to isolate the frequency range it is occuring in. EQ will probably not help because the offending frequency is louder when it hits resonance.

i'll make sure to look into that, thanks.

MCI2424 said:

yeah i have to agree with that....as a bass player i hear that same thing all the time live and it usually frequents the mid range......for acustic i really have no refference for that....how was it recorded? direct or miced?

damn my spelling really sux and i don't give a shit soo sorry :o

Cool tune. :cool:

I can hear a "hint" of boomyness like you said but I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if you didn't mention it.

Maybe the mic was a bit too close to the soundhole, or it could be your room, or maybe your guitar.

I had the same problem with my room so I put the mic in the closet in front of all the clothes and recorded into my closet. Helped a lot. Now I can mic at about the 15th-17th fret without any boomyness.

danny.guitar said:
Cool tune. :cool:

I can hear a "hint" of boomyness like you said but I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if you didn't mention it.

Maybe the mic was a bit too close to the soundhole, or it could be your room, or maybe your guitar.

I had the same problem with my room so I put the mic in the closet in front of all the clothes and recorded into my closet. Helped a lot. Now I can mic at about the 15th-17th fret without any boomyness.

thanks for the response, i reckon it all comes down to mike placement, i should've been more carefull.

I can hear a boominess - are the bass notes played on bass or acoustic? That's where I hear the boom & it cuts off pretty sharply between notes.
I listening on h/phones.
Nice piece by the way.
Just fiddle with some mids EQ carving until you isolate it OR try the MBC.

rayc said:
I can hear a boominess - are the bass notes played on bass or acoustic? That's where I hear the boom & it cuts off pretty sharply between notes.
I listening on h/phones.
Nice piece by the way.
Just fiddle with some mids EQ carving until you isolate it OR try the MBC.
RayC has deciphered the problem well - and provided a good solution. I also agree with him that this is a great piece of music.....Great job...

Back