new song (alternativeish) - mix suggestions

gbav

Whats up, been busy with work so I haven't been around too much. Wrote and recorded this over the last few days and looking for some mix help. Hoping to get back into the swing of things.

songs called angels
up at
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8730061

Hope soundclick is still acceptable, don't see it as much as I used to here.

Take care

Gary

Guitar tone is great. I think the lead vocals need to stand out a bit more. Maybe some eq. The guitars sound great. Love that wide open space on the left one. How did you get that sound, digital or amp?

Everything sounds pretty good, especially the drums. Maybe try opening up more of a sonic space for the vocals, and try doing something to make them sound less whiney?

Whats up, been busy with work so I haven't been around too much. Wrote and recorded this over the last few days and looking for some mix help. Hoping to get back into the swing of things.

songs called angels
up at
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8730061

Hope soundclick is still acceptable, don't see it as much as I used to here.

Take care

Gary

Hey Gary,
Very cool tune! I like the different sections you got going - very dynamic. Vocals sound good - at certain parts they fade a bit in the mix. No big deal overall it sounds nice and tight. Good to see you're getting some time to write and record. Work can get in the way of that can't it???

Yeah I agree, the vocal needs to come up. The wide vocals in the chorus sound great. Nice hook there. Actually the more I listen to this the more I like it. Mix is well balanced. Cool tune

onestu3 - Thank you very much for listening. The guitars you're speaking of are digital, amplitube 2. Lots of compression/eq. Two low volume mic'd amp tracks are in as well behind the amplitube tracks. Amp is a cheap crate palomino 16 with a 57 straight on. Guitar is actually a fun story, wife saw someone throwing it away and took it off them. Spent a month fixing/cleaning it up and still have NO idea what it is. Looks old but I really have no idea.

steve.h - Thank you very much for listening. I agree I have to retrack the lead vocal track and try and find a better space for it. Was a bit too lazy, especially during the verses.

ido1957 - Thanks a lot, man. I totally agree that I need to work on getting the vocals to be a bit more up front. Bit of a new style for me, will work on it though. I won't jinx myself by complaining about working right now. Avoided a huge layoff. Second I go ahead and complain I know i'll be wishing I had the work.

Bulls Hit - Thanks, i'm super glad to hear you like the chorus vocals. I don't have a problem redoing vocal tracks but the thought of layering that many again made my head hurt. Thanks for listening, man.

Take care
Gary

before retracking I'd try a volume envelope ;) I think they just need some balance... :):):):)

OT - I've avoided layoffs a few times - god knows why - somebody likes me....

This is a great song. Good use of the stereo field, nice sounds on guitars, drums (especially). I like the doubled vocals in the chorus. Others noted the finding space for the lead vocal in the verses.

I like the feel of of this song. Good groove.

Cool!!

Cool Stuff! Love the drums That kick is great.

On the vox I think you have a bit too much around 700hz or so. It's a bit thick and masking. In the verse I would try pulling a little around there more compression if possible to even the levels out a bit. You may have to just boost up some soft sylibals with an envelope or gain processing. I think that the chorus could use a bit of a cut as 700 too the levels there seem great. Just a tad thick.

Very coo stuff!

F.S.

Gerry - Yeah I'm about to start on a new mix now, will certainly try playing with the volume/eq first before redoing things. Not sure how I avoided the recent layoffs at my job either. Better to be lucky, sometimes.

Jason Chinchen - Thanks so much for listening man, will certainly look into any factors contributing the muddiness. Will also be sure to play with the vox. Thank you so much again.

Chili - Thank you for listening. Hope i can just fix what needs fixing without completely dismantling what I have done. Thank god for multiple mix files.

Freudian Slip - Thanks very much, I love the detailed advice. Will certainly try it out now and see what I can do. Still got your song on for a third listen. Thanks again for listening.

Gary

pretty cool, your one drop is perfect. i'm probably wrong but i think the guitar was a little piercing to my ears in some places. could just be me:) pretty cool tho, good luck:)

Hey Gary. Can you tell me what you used on that kick, or is it triggered?
It sounds like it's distorted on the upper mids. Seems to really bring it out.

F.S.

cantthinkofname - Thanks for listening. I've been back and forth on the guitars.

Freudian Slip - Yeah the drums are all programmed. I use EZdrummer, then once programmed burn all the individual tracks down and mute everything in ezdrummer except the overheads and try to treat it like an actual drumkit. Sample on the kick was a steven slate sample that seemed to work better then what Ezdrummer put out.

Take care.

Gary

cantthinkofname - Thanks for listening. I've been back and forth on the guitars.

Freudian Slip - Yeah the drums are all programmed. I use EZdrummer, then once programmed burn all the individual tracks down and mute everything in ezdrummer except the overheads and try to treat it like an actual drumkit. Sample on the kick was a steven slate sample that seemed to work better then what Ezdrummer put out.

Take care.

Gary

Thanks Gary. It looks like drumagog has all the samples and I have drumagog so I think I get them for free as part of the deal

If you get the chance and know what kit that is off of I would like to know. If not, no big deal.

F.S.

Nice work here...in the beginning I thought it was gonna be a reggae tune, sounds pretty original though. The ending is a little too unspectacular for my taste, but that's just me....
Good tune!

Joey :):):):)

Back