New setup, new pres?

TheOneTrueMatt

So I'm doing a big reconfiguration of my DAW in a few months. Well, mainly I'm changing my interface, so here's the situation...

I'm currently running an M-audio Omni Studio (delta 66 w/dmp2 based pres, etc) and an RNC. The only mics I have are a couple SM57s, AT4040 and a Behringer B2 which I'm going to sell to a friend of mine who doesn't seem to hear the crapiness in it that I do (which is maybe just 'cause I haven't let him touch my AT4040). I'm also planning on picking up a pair of SP C4s in the near future (unless I find a better pair of SDCs for $300).

What's happening in a few months is I'm buying a MOTU 828mkII, because I know someone who has one "used" (but barely, in fact I did most of the using myself) and I'm going to buy it off them. I've heard the MOTU pres are "decent" but I want to a) be able to record more channels and b) get into some better preamps soon. I was looking into the 8 channel light-pipe pres, which would be great for recording drums, but I think it's more important that I get one or two channels with more quality, since I do more solo at-home recording and I'm trying to squeeze the best sound out of that I can.

So I was thinking when I get the MOTU, if I got a DMP3, I'd have 4 "decent" channels (a couple of which would be similar, but a little better than what I'm used to, OmniStudio) and then look into one of the $500ish mid-range pres, like the RNP, Brick or Grace 101, to step up my vocal recordings a bit. I will be looking into getting more mics for different options on different voices/sources, but AT4040 the AT4040 does work very well on my own voice, and I am my most regular client, so that will initially be the main mic used w/the pre.

The tricky thing is which of those mid-range pres to go for. The Brick is supposed to be all tubey, but the Grace is supposed to be super clean. The RNP lately people seem to think (reading here mostly) that it's good but not as much ahead of the dmp3 as it should be? I want detailed open three dimentional (and other subjective terms) vocal recordings that will be better quality than those other pres will give me, and I'm really not sure why to go with one of those (RNP,Brick,Grace) vs the others.

Last edited:
TheOneTrueMatt said:
So I'm doing a big reconfiguration of my DAW in a few months. Well, mainly I'm changing my interface, so here's the situation...

I'm currently running an M-audio Omni Studio (delta 66 w/dmp2 based pres, etc) and an RNC. The only mics I have are a couple SM57s, AT4040 and a Behringer B2 which I'm going to sell to a friend of mine who doesn't seem to hear the crapiness in it that I do (which is maybe just 'cause I haven't let him touch my AT4040). I'm also planning on picking up a pair of SP C4s in the near future (unless I find a better pair of SDCs for $300).

What's happening in a few months is I'm buying a MOTU 828mkII, because I know someone who has one "used" (but barely, in fact I did most of the using myself) and I'm going to buy it off them. I've heard the MOTU pres are "decent" but I want to a) be able to record more channels and b) get into some better preamps soon. I was looking into the 8 channel light-pipe pres, which would be great for recording drums, but I think it's more important that I get one or two channels with more quality, since I do more solo at-home recording and I'm trying to squeeze the best sound out of that I can.

So I was thinking when I get the MOTU, if I got a DMP3, I'd have 4 "decent" channels (a couple of which would be similar, but a little better than what I'm used to, OmniStudio) and then look into one of the $500ish mid-range pres, like the RNP, Brick or Grace 101, to step up my vocal recordings a bit. I will be looking into getting more mics for different options on different voices/sources, but AT4040 the AT4040 does work very well on my own voice, and I am my most regular client, so that will initially be the main mic used w/the pre.

The tricky thing is which of those mid-range pres to go for. The Brick is supposed to be all tubey, but the Grace is supposed to be super clean. The RNP lately people seem to think (reading here mostly) that it's good but not as much ahead of the dmp3 as it should be? I want detailed open three dimentional (and other subjective terms) vocal recordings that will be better quality than those other pres will give me, and I'm really not sure why to go with one of those (RNP,Brick,Grace) vs the others.

You will be offered quite a few opinions on pre's (including mine) that will basically come down to what you ears will like. I use a Grace 101 for it's clarity and find it perfect for my needs.

Another option is to check out Dan Richardson's "Listening Sessions" which previews several pres in performance. Utilize the search function here to find link!

Back