New SE2200A II

giopad65

Hi there,
did anybody of you fellows try the just released SE2200A II (the multi pattern one)?
I am curious to find out if the added multi pattern feature is worth the extra price.
In the meantime I found a couple of SE2200A's (the n/c version without flight case) for a reasonable price at a retailer here in northern Italy, but before buying them I am asking myself if it is better wait and save money for a newer model.
TIA

I have 3 of the original 2200A mics and was invited to a local dealer a week or so back to audition the 2200A II (and also the new X1).

Sonically, the 2200A II (in cardioid) was virtually identical to my mics--and, to my ear, that's a good thing. It's become my favorite "go to" mic for a wide range of material, hence having bought a second then a third.

In my case, working mainly in a domestic situation without professional acoustic treatment, the cardioid pattern is far more useful to me than an omni. I can sometimes use a figure of 8 mic and, when my bank account is considerably less of a disaster zone, may buy a 2200A II for that purpose. For you, only you can decide how much use the switchable pattern would be. It's one of those things that you don't need until you need it! However, unless you have a specific purpose in mind, spending your money on the cheaper originals is something to seriously consider.

However, the joker in this pack is the new X1. I was VERY impressed with it at the audition. Sonically, very similar to the 2200A for somewhat less money. It also LOOKS damn nice--I know, I know, the looks shouldn't matter--but sometimes a mic can just say "I mean business".

An X1 is on my list for Santa next Christmas....

For you, only you can decide how much use the switchable pattern would be. It's one of those things that you don't need until you need it! However, unless you have a specific purpose in mind, spending your money on the cheaper originals is something to seriously consider.

However, the joker in this pack is the new X1. I was VERY impressed with it at the audition. Sonically, very similar to the 2200A for somewhat less money. It also LOOKS damn nice--I know, I know, the looks shouldn't matter--but sometimes a mic can just say "I mean business".

An X1 is on my list for Santa next Christmas....

Thank you very much.
I used to have a couple of AKG Perception 420 multi pattern LDC, but only used the omni mode once, and was disappointed with respect to what I was recording. I see that cardioids capture some ambience anyway, and since I don't need to record keeping the mike close to the source, I think omni isn't in my needs now.
About the X1: I saw it at the retailer and it comes at a very nice price, but then you have to add the shock mount (which doesn't come stock) and so the total cost would be higher than the SE2200A's I've seen (in my case).
I guess I'll get myself the two SE2200A's "end of series": 159 euros each with shockmunt are bargain here in Italy. :-)

Back